Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What product should I used to treat a Pine pot made from old pallets?

emmz
Growing in Experience

What product should I used to treat a Pine pot made from old pallets?

Hi I've currently purchased some pine planter pots made from old pallets. They will be used under an alfresco but as they are on the edges of the paving they will still be exposed to natural elements,  eg rain, sun and retic. I'm wanting to seal the timber with a natural finish as I like that rustic raw timber look but have no idea what product to use. I'm unsure if linseed oil or decking oil is best. I am considering to put some sort of garden plastic inside to help reduce rot and decay and I will also be drilling a draining hole as there are none at the moment. Also putting the pots on small wheels so they will be off the ground and easier to move. I'm unsure if the pallets used are treated or not. Any advice would be awesome!! 😄

Screenshot_20231105_201747_Gumtree.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: what product should I used to treat a pine pot made from old pallets

Hi @emmz

1. I use  Sikkens Cetol TGL  Gloss plus.   IT is a very hard clear gloss coating highly UV resistant and dosnt constantly need  reapplying like oils.

You can also get the  timber stains in the same  product range. Add the cetol TGL as a final coat.

2. An idea I have used for you buy inexpensive plastic pots that simply sit inside the tubs as close as possible to the tub diameter if possible this will give a  little air gap between pot and timber. I think plastic sheet may trap moisture against the timber slates.  The sikkens will definatly help stop  water effecting wood in this regard if using plastic sheet.  A thick plastic garbage bag may work well here  dont forget holes in the bottom.

3 .To maximise the life of your  pots and not use plastic pot inners. Another  product is bitumen paint is a thick black rubber coating designed to hold water inside porous containers dont forget to drill water holes in the bottom before you   coat it.  I would also only come up  3/4 way on the inside of the pot or all the way as the pot has black iron  bands a black  pot interior would look good.

Ps  nice pots enjoy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @emmz. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing timber.

You could go for an oil, but as @Jewelleryrescue mentioned, you'll need to re-apply yearly. For the inside and bottom of the planter, you might like to drill your drainage holes and then coat with Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber. Remember to coat the inside of the holes as well. 

Given these are Pine, which isn't the best timber to have exposed to the elements, I believe a hard coating such as the Sikkens Cetol TGL  Gloss plus suggested would be a good choice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
emmz
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your advice.  I definitely like the idea of the bitumen paint. I've never heard of it and it would look so much neater than plastic. Thank you, will post pics when finished 😊 

emmz
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your help. With the bitumen paint, would that 1lt tub go far. Thanks

hi @emmz

When you buy the bitumen  paint also by the cheapest pkt brushes as bitumen paint is terrible  to clean of a brush  just bin them.

First coat of bitumen goes on patchy this is normal the second coat you will see better coverage and a third  coat is mostly dabbing slight missed spots.

I push my paint brush into the bitumen pail I have larger 4 litre pail that way the same brush can be used with out having to clean it and it dosnt dry out.

You will only use 1 L.

Make sure to wear old clothes and  use a drop sheet or paint some where the bitumen  cant stain every thing just in case of splashes.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @emmz,

I'm fairly confident that a one-litre pot will do the job. This product is a bit different to old-style bitumen paints and others on the market. It's a water-based version and is exceptionally easy to clean up. The first coat gets watered down so it penetrates and goes further. The second coat can be used to build up the surface. Brushes are also easily washable in water, and it doesn't smell bad, which is great.

Mitchell

emmz
Growing in Experience

I went and got a tub today. Would you recommend I mix it with water for what I need. Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @emmz 

Just to be clear on this, you purchased a timber pine tub? If you are using the Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber it has instructions printed on the label if you wish to dilute it. But in regards to the Sikkens Cetol TGL  Gloss plus I don't recommend diluting it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

emmz
Growing in Experience

Sorry I should of specified that. I bought a tub of https://www.bunnings.com.au/gripset-betta-1l-waterproofing-membrane-bitumen-rubber_p0960165

I have read the instructions but as it says I can use it as either a membrane or paint I wasn't sure which one was best suited

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects