Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What screening plant for a narrow, shady spot?

Chris_T
Having an Impact

What screening plant for a narrow, shady spot?

Hiya

I recently had a new deck built, which is great, but the elevation has now created a direct line of sight onto the busy road I live on. (See photos attached). I'd rather not get fence attachments, but plant something that's going to eventually screen/block out this view. 

Unfortunately this part of the garden is heavily shaded by a large tree, and the far side of the fence is south facing. It's also right next to the driveway, so only has a narrow space to grow in. I've had a look at other articles here about choosing hedging/screening plants, but my concern is I'm not sure which, if any of those recommendations would work in this shady edge.

So wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what I could plant that will grow up to 2-2.5 metres in almost complete shade that won't grow outwards so much that it needs lots of pruning for the driveway. There's currently a fir tree on one side of the gate, and I would consider just another fir tree, except I think it would create more "screening" if it was a bit wider at the top than a fir. 

Hope that makes sense! 

Cheers

Chris

This is the view from inside my garden that I'm trying to block.

IMG_0802.jpeg

This is where I'd like to plant - you can see it's a reasonably narrow strip next to the driveway.

IMG_0786.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screening plant for a narrow, shady spot

Hi @Chris_T,

Options like Nandina, Camelia, Viburnum, Bamboo and Pittosporum would perform well in the part shade and can be pruned periodically to minimise their impact on the driveway. 

Looking at the width and angle you wish to screen, I'd suggest that two plants might provide better coverage than just one.

In the interim, whilst the plants have time to grow in, you might like to install some timber fence extensions as a temporary solution. It will take some time for the plants to reach 2400mm to screen the area effectively. I'd also recommend you invest in mature stock to speed up the process.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects