Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber to use for fence repair?

gardiya
Finding My Feet

What timber to use for fence repair?

Hi,

I started replacing an old fence pailing with a new one I bought at Bunnings. But when I hammered the nails, the pailing cracked.

Maybe the wood I bought was too hard.

In your video, I see hammering is easy, and the wood is soft.

I would appreciate if you would let me know which wood I should choose at bunnings.

Thank you.

Gardiya

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What timber to use for fence repair?

Hello @gardiya

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fence repair.

The common timber used for fencing is 100 x 16mm Fence Paling H3 Treated Pine Wet. It comes in several lengths so please make sure you grab the correct length that you need. One reason that timber pailings split is that the nailing point has been placed too close to the edge on the side or is too close to the top. Enough space must be provided on either side so that when you drive the nail in it does not split the timber.  

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the timber that you purchased? This will give us a better idea of what it is. It will also help us find out why it split.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your fence repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much for the advice, Eric. 

I really appreciate it. 

This happened a few weeks ago, and I have thrown out the split pailings.

I will try to grab the wood that you have recommended from Bunnings. 

Best regards.

Gardiya

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gardiya,

An @EricL mentioned, try to space your nails at least 30mm in from the outside edge of the board. The nail you are using might also be a bit thick as I wouldn't expect your palings to crack even if you crept a little closer than the 30mm. Try a nail similar to Paslode 50 x 2.8mm 500g Flat Head Galvanised Nails. They should be about the right thickness, and their flat head will make it easier to drive in.

Let us know how you go, and reach out if you have further issues. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks, Mitchell

Regards,

Gardiya

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects