Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of melon is it?

Grub80
Making a Splash

What type of melon is it?

Hi all, can you help in identifying what type of melon am I growing? Me ole mate (ie elderly father), hade some melon seeds and planted them in. Surprise surprise the melons? Are growing. Photos attached. I am growing rock melons, and have photo attached for a comparison. Cheers all super sleuths!

B6BF4A19-EFF4-4A6B-8401-85A75C8E28DE.jpeg  What type is it?What type is it?  Rock melonsRock melons  F17DAF36-5A09-46E3-8E58-9E2DC3C71CF0.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What type of melon is it?

You might have to wait until it's time to cut one open @Grub80

We've had a similar mystery on Workshop before thanks to @QuailFlock - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garden/Melon-Pumpkin-Or/m-p/10909 - It turned out to be a sharkfin melon, which I hadn't heard of before.

Let me tag some of our resident garden gurus who might be able to give you some clues. @Adam_W@Noelle@CathM.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Bit hard to tell just from the foliage. All melons and family have quite similar leaves. May be a bit easier as the melons develop.  Any thoughts @Adam_W ?

I'l go with you on that one @Noelle
As soon as you are talking a group of plants that have entire books dedicated to them you know there is potential for confusion...
Not helped if they have self-seeded from a commercial variety as they are likley to revert back to a more basic form that may not resemble the original plant or fruit. It will in basic ways, such as leaf form and fruit type, but beyond that there can be a lot of diffference.
I'd suggest grow it on & see what develops!
Melons are actually pretty handy in the veggie garden anyway as they work like living mulch. They help keep soil cooler & retaining more moisture.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects