Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of new lawn is this?

mazza
Finding My Feet

What type of new lawn is this?

A191B779-6992-4085-8182-767F646D74D1.jpeg

wondering what type of lawn is in my new house and how do I care for it

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of new lawn is this?

Hi @mazza,

I'm not sure if many people would be able to identify your grass type from a single image. We'd likely need several, including close-ups of the blades. If you could take a few more closer images, we might narrow down what it is. It's certainly not a coarse bladed grass like Buffalo and is more likely something similar to fine or tall Fescue.

Regardless of the type of lawn it is, they all require much the same kind of care. The only time you really need to be careful is with varieties like Buffalo, as they are susceptible to certain selective weed killers. If you use the wrong product on them, you'll potentially kill the whole lawn.

You should find these guides useful:

There are also a couple of great articles from our resident expert @Adam_WHow to repair a lawn and How to detect lawn problems.

Here's some of our lawn related Best Advice articles on lawns to read through:

If you have any particular questions, I trust our knowledgeable members would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: What type of new lawn is this?

Hi @mazza hard to tell without a close-up of leaf blades but I am going to go for it being a kikuyu hybrid.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects