Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What will you be planting in autumn?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What will you be planting in autumn?

It's the first day of autumn and soon the weather will be turning cooler.

We might miss the hot sun, but the milder conditions provide the chance to get stuck into the garden. 

What will you be planting this autumn?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What will you be planting in autumn?

I can't believe it will be autumn next week! 

Has anyone started preparing the garden for autumn planting?

Jason

Kehly
Getting Established

Our basil is going nuts as is our oregano, so we planted a bit more on the weekend.

Planning on adding some cauliflower and broccoli seedlings this weekend.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am planning a Bunnings run this weekend to get some winter seedlings. Definitely want to get some spinach and possibly kale. 

Let us know if you have any plans for your vegetable garden. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our vegies are growing well. We've already picked some spinach leaves and will need to pick some bok choy in the coming days.

Let us know what you are growing in your garden at the moment.

Jason

Vegiepod.jpg

Looking good @Jason👍

Seedlings...

I've planted cabbage, cauliflower, spring onions  and brown onions.

Seed sown...

I've sown brown onions, red onions, carrots, spinach, bok choi, cabbage, basil and a few flowers for the pollinators such as Viola, Pansy and Snapdragons. All but the red onions are at very small seedling stage now.

Coming soon... 

I have some Australian white garlic bulbs coming and 2 varieties of seed potatoes coming, that will be planted when they arrive.

Green House...

In my little Bunnings patio green house, I have 6 capsicum, a jalapeno and 3 other chili plants living there and will stay there over winter.

Experimental...

I have a few small raised beds made from washing machine drums, where I planted sweet potato slips and I planted a few supermarket  spuds that I let the eyes sprout out. 1 month later and I have very healthy and actively growing leaves  above the mulch on all of them.

I plan to make a big cold frame this weekend and will house them in that.

I hope to get away with planting the store bought potatoes and I might be pushing my luck with the sweet potatoes. 

I'm also doing the "regrow" experiment where I have the bottom of 2 celery we recently used and I have them in water and new celery is growing up from the middle of them.

Also doing the same thing with some spring onions we recently used.

nuwa
Cultivating a Following

I growed Kale. Grew very good within 2 weeks and now full of catepillars. Still trying organic methods and nothing works. :unhappy:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nuwa.

Have you tried Yates 40g Natures Way Caterpillar Killer Dipel Insecticide? Everyone I have ever recommended this to has come back in-store to let me know how fantastic it was. It's a certified organic caterpillar control product which can be used on edibles (herbs, vegetables and fruits) and ornamentals. I also recommend it as it does not harm bees, ladybirds, birds, fish, mammals and pets.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects