Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to position sprinklers for turf irrigation?

MegR
Finding My Feet

Where to position sprinklers for turf irrigation?

AA68D917-8151-4321-B77A-89E725888882.jpeg

8D356217-6BED-4891-BA1B-B59731597CE5.jpeg

  

I want to put a sprinkler system in this area before I lay turf (new build). I’m just not sure where to position the sprinklers and what sprinklers I should be choosing? 
There is a fair slope as well which I’m assuming will have an impact (I’ve included image to see slope). Any advice? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where to position sprinklers for turf irrigation?

Hello @MegR 

Thanks for sharing your question about where to position your sprinklers. One of the most versatile systems you can install in your garden area is a Rain Bird system. Everything about it is adjustable from spray pattern to throwing distance. You can literally put it into the corner of your garden and produce a 90-degree spray pattern. Depending on the sprayer that you install you can cover a distance anywhere from 1.2meters to 2.4 meters. 

The Rain Bird system recommends a pattern called head to head coverage. This is to make sure that your turf gets an equal amount of water. They even have recommendations on what sprayer to use in sloped areas. It's great that you've drawn your garden area. All you need now is to determine which spray heads to use and how much pipe you'll need to lay down.

Here is a link to the Rain Bird Catalog: Rain Bird Catalog

Here is a handy step-by-step video: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @MegR . Some great advice from @EricL below. 

Please pardon by very average drawing - but I hope you can get the gist of it. Using the Rainbird sprinklers Eric mentioned below I have put together this sketch of what I would suggest. Using 19mm black poly pipe and 5 adjustable sprinklers. It seems like a lot but it's the best way to do it without overspraying onto the path, driveway and house. Adjust the ones in the corners to 1/4 circle and the one up the top in the middle to 1/2 circle (you'll also need to screw down the grub screw on the top to ensure it doesn't throw outside of the turf area). You will be able to run them all off one line I think. Rain Bird 3" Pop Up 15' Adjustable Spray - Bunnings Australia

If you take the sketch into your local Bunnings store they'll be able to give you the sprinklers and all the piping and parts that you need. They will also show you how to adjust the sprinklers - but here's a quick guide form the manufacturer. man_sprayheads.pdf (rainbird.com)

Good luck. 

Good luck. 

robchin_0-1649659623952.png

Thank you @robchin . Does the pop up height matter? I clicked on the ones in the hyperlink you sent (3”) but when I was looking at other options on Bunnings there’s different pop up heights? For example 4” pop up height. What is the point of different pop up heights? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MegR 

The difference in pop up heights corresponds to the height of your lawn. With a 4-inch pop-up height it pretty much clears any shrub or small flowers that might be in the way. The lower the pop-up height the more likely its spray will be hindered if the turf is too high. My best suggestion would be to get the taller pop-up spray so that even if you missed mowing last week the sprinklers will still clear the lawn. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Sorry @MegR for the tardy response. Looks like @EricL has covered this off. Always get the bigger ones, a little bit more digging required but allows you to have your grass a bit longer - which is a good thing. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects