Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are magnolia teddy bear plants growing brown leaves?

Possum1304
Growing in Experience

Why are magnolia teddy bear plants growing brown leaves?

Hi, two of my magnolias teddy bear are developing whole branches of brown leaves. They have been in the ground 2-3 years, the third one (far right) is quite healthy and has been in the ground for about one year.  The two affected still show some healthy growth.

We’ve had a lot of rain and the soil is quite wet but not sopping wet.

I did a soil test and it came out neutral.

I’m feeding them occasionally with IMG_5116.jpegIMG_5118.jpegIMG_5117.jpegIMG_5114.jpegIMG_5106.jpegEco-seaweed.

the mulch is cane mulch, not close to the trunk.

Please advise how to rescue them!  Thank you.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Magnolia Teddy Bear

Hi @Possum1304 

Just go though this check list see if you need any thing.

Soil  well drained  5 - 6.5 pH  use lime or sulpur to adjust  Filtered  sun light. part shade/

Water summer twice a week to keep soil miost as  over watering  can damage roots/

Over fertilizing  can caause  root burn or leaf scorching.

Others are more experianced here than me in the  gardening.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Possum1304,

With the recent rain and the soil being on the wet side, it's a good bet that overwatering might be at play. Even if it's not completely soaked, continuous dampness isn't great for the roots. To tackle this, try improving drainage and maybe cut back a bit on watering – let the soil dry out a bit between watering sessions. Also, make sure there's good air circulation around the plants to fend off any potential fungal issues that might pop up with all the moisture.

Keep an eye out for other things too, like nutrient deficiencies, pests, or stress from the weather. A bit of balanced, slow-release fertilizer could give your plants a boost. 

Let me mention a couple of our knowledgeable gardening members, @Noelle and @mich1972, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Possum1304 

Definitely agree with @MitchellMc  that drainage could well be an issue - there's not a lot of garden bed to absorb all the water draining off the concrete on to the soil, and one thing magnolias hate is wet feet.  They like a nice, shaded, cool soil that contains plenty of organic matter (a rich loamy soil is ideal), with a pH around 5 and some protection from sun during the heat of the day. While the soil should be consistently moist over summer, it should never be really wet, so check and improve drainage if necessary.

Hi Jewelleryrescue

Thank you for your advice, I will get some sulphur to lower the pH.

water is a problem here as it rains so much, also sunlight, too much of both for the magnolias!

Thank you Mitchell,

I have removed some of the mulch from around the trees to.let the soil dry a bit and sprinkled some all purpose slow release fertiliser.  I wonder if I incorporate some sand into the soil would that help the drainage?

We haven’t watered our garden for quite some time, nature’s taken care of that in abundance and still is!

Hi @Possum1304,

Mixing enough sand in to help with drainage would be next to impossible. Are you on a clay base? They are notorious for leaving plants with wet feet, which they hate. The long-term solution would involve installing sub-surface drainage to help remove water from the area.

Mitchell

Possum1304
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your advice @Noelle,

I will get some sulphur to reduce the pH which is obviously too high.

looks like my magnolias are not in a good spot, lots of sun, only shade in the morning!

We’re also having lots of rain which doesn’t help.  
would it help if I cut off the dead branches?

Also would some sand incorporated into the soil improve the drainage?

I’ll just have to nurse them through this wet summer and hope they survive!

Hi @Possum1304,

If the branches are dead, then there is no point in retaining them. Perhaps start at their tip and cut 100mm off at a time. If you reach a supple or green stem, stop.

Mitchell

I wouldn't add sand to the soil in an effort to improve the drainage. Added organic matter will, over the years, assist but since this year is somewhat exceptional for its rainfall, in my opinion the best thing to do is try to nurse the trees through. If there is excess surface water, try to deflect it with a shallow channel drain. Likewise any excess water from the concreted area - deflect it away if possible.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects