Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will new grass flood my backyard?

Joan_J
Growing in Experience

Will new grass flood my backyard?

Hi all!  I want to replace the tiles in my backyard with rollout grass. There are currently two drain holes at each end of the tiled slab - I’m worried laying grass down might impact flooding in the future (previously the rain/water would just roll off the tiles and into the drain pipes). Now the rain might have nowhere to go except into the soil and grass.

Any advice? 

93D44C3B-0CD2-414E-BA3E-B9A5B4A1D700.jpeg

54EE2ED1-C995-4C4B-AAC6-3549AA99BE31.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Will new grass flood my backyard?

Hello @Joan_J

Thank you for sharing your question about will new grass flood your backyard.

When the pavers are removed, this would be an excellent opportunity to till the soil underneath and prepare the area by adding more soil to make up for the height difference when the Sir Walter's 0.5m² DNA Certified Soft Leaf Buffalo Turf Slab is laid out. I recommend putting in a fall in the soil towards the fence. Should you get heavy rainfall it will all be directed out towards the street and not towards your house.

Your other option is to place Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate & 3m Prejoined Channel and link it to your current drain. You may also use Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil and make a mid-sized french drain near your cemented porch to redirect the water into the drain. This sounds like a fantastic project, any updates you can provide while remodeling would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

I've done some virtual turf laying for you to give you some inspiration.

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Joan_J
Growing in Experience

Re: Will new grass flood my backyard?

Thank you @EricL this is great! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects