Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will this grass grow back after damage caused by Roundup weed killer?

Barsha
Just Starting Out

Will this grass grow back after damage caused by Roundup weed killer?

IMG_0383.jpeg

Hello everyone, 

I am very new to this community and hoping to get some guidance. 
My husband mistakenly sprayed Roundup weed killer in the whole front and back lawn. All of the grasses are dead now and looking for advice if we can revive it. Can you please advise if there is there any solution for this? 
Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Will this grass grow back after damage caused by Roundup weed killer?

Hello @Barsha 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your lawn.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll need to replace or re-seed your lawn.

Unfortunately, Roundup is indiscriminate when it comes to killing vegetation. The herbicide active ingredient in Roundup is glyphosate, which if sprayed on the lawn will kill not only the weeds but the lawn as well. This is a nonselective herbicide that controls any green plant on which it is applied.

The back of the bottle should have notes regarding how long it will reside or stay active in your soil. This will tell you when you can start planting again. Please note that the more rain you have the better as this will wash the chemical away. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Will this grass grow back after damage caused by Roundup weed killer?

Hi @Barsha 

Eric is right, if your husband sprayed common Roundup Weedkiller over the lawn. Most, but not all, Roundup products contain glyphosate which is a non-selective herbicide - that means it will kill any green plant that it is applied to.

There is a Roundup for Lawns that can be safely sprayed on to most lawn grasses. It will kill broad leaf weeds without damaging the grass, which is probably what he should have used.

Whatever weedkiller you may choose to use, it is absolutely essential to read and understand the label instructions before using it, otherwise the results can be quite devastating as you have discovered.

Roundup (all types) will break down in the soil in about 21 days from the time it is applied, so you could consider hoeing or digging the soil in preparation for laying new turf after that period has elapsed. Depending on where you live, it may be too late this autumn to sow and germinate lawn seed before the onset of cool/cold weather.

Julie8
Just Starting Out

roundup

Hi my husband used roundup to kill the weeds in the lawn but killed the grass which is now dirt,please help is there a solution.thankyou

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: roundup

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Julie8. It's great to have you join us.

Unfortunately, as per Eric's reply above, your grass is now dead and it will need to be replaced with turf or re-sown with seed.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects