Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would it be easier to repair or replace the lawn?

Wai2021
Finding My Feet

Would it be easier to repair or replace the lawn?

9D87A1E8-101B-4289-95B4-7C5EC28CC024.jpeg

54022375-60DD-4EE6-BFB4-1F4B20D382AF.jpeg

D42C0660-71A3-40C3-96F6-14C7B10AE806.jpeg

7A703455-2352-4ED9-89AB-5A96E12DF0C7.jpeg

   

Hi all, I’d like to know if you experts recommend I try and “repair” my front lawn or do a replacement of it ie. lay new buffalo grass. I don’t want to miss the opportunity of the season…

I’ve got a fairly neglected patch of lawn at the front of the house which I’ve neglected a bit since moving in 3 years ago ie. never really treated the soil, fertilised or watered regularly. We had someone do some basic landscaping and added top soil to help flatten it out but I think it was the wrong season and I never saw the results which put me off…

As a result, some parts of it is in a fairly poor state with various bold patches and weeds growing. I’ve attached photos showing it’s current state at various angles. 

Im leaning a bit towards just relaying new grass so I can start over and focus on keep it nurtured ie. water and fertilise. But the thought of needing to dig up and dispose of the old stuff, source and supply new soil and grass scares me ie. the time and effort needed (got a 2nd baby coming within 2 months…). I could pay someone to do it but worried about cost…

Would very much appreciate your advice!

9D694BD8-FC36-477A-8D02-A6927A55FC70.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Would it be easier to repair or replace the lawn?

Hi @Wai2021,

In answer to your question, the easiest and most instant option is going to be laying turf. However, whether you go with the turf or try planting seeds, you're going to need to prepare this area. From the images, it appears the biggest issue is that the soil has become compacted. Compacted soil makes it very hard for the grass's roots and moisture to penetrate the surface. I'd recommend you aerate the lawn before de-thatching the grass with a steel tine rack. If you really didn't want to remove the existing grass, you could lay Scotts Lawn Builder 25L Organic Lawn Soil Topdress & Underlay over it and apply Builder 4kg Starter Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser. You can then roll out your new turf, but you should expect some of the old grass to grow through and mix with the new.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ColinL
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc,

I have a similar problem with my lawn as it's covered in mullumbimby couch and other types of weeds. So I'm looking at laying the whole area with new buffalo turf and was wondering if I can kill the existing weeds and grass with non-selective herbicide then 2 or 3 weeks later lay the turf directly on top?

I'm happy to dig out some of the larger patches of dead weeds or grass but don't want to be removing the entire lawn, and after doing some reading it is not recommended to lay top soil then new turf without treating the existing lawn first.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Colin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ColinL,

You can poison what's there, which will stop it from growing through into the new grass. I'd suggest using a sprayer set to a fine mist and only applying enough poison to wet the grass blades. If you saturate the soil with Glyphosate, it can stick around for quite some time.

Be mindful of any existing issues like soil compaction or a layer of old thatched grass that will inhibit the ability of your new grass to flourish. 

As long as you poison off what's there, address any compaction issues and place down a decent thickness of topsoil before your new turf, you shouldn't have any issues.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ColinL
Growing in Experience

Great thanks heaps mate!

MikeM84
Building a Reputation

I would aerate the current soil first, then poison the grass area, then lay some cardboard, as cardboard will act as a barrier for strong weeds, lay good topsoil, and then grass.

the cardboard will act as the barrier plus will decompose and provide good nutrients and compost for your living microorganisms under the soil :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects