Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Your tips for keeping possums away

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your tips for keeping possums away

Brushtail_possum_exudative_dermatitis.jpg

Possums are adorable when they are climbing trees and dashing across electrical wires. But it can be frustrating when they are munching on your home-grown fruit and vegetables or keeping you up at night by dancing on the roof.

Fortunately, I'm sure the Workshop community can come to the rescue of anyone struggling with neighbourhood possums. 

What are your tips for keeping possums out of your garden or away from your house?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick
Cultivating a Following

Re: Your tips for keeping possums away

Possums are territorial so not easy to keep away. A good solution if they are in the roof is to erect a possum box in a tree near the house. You can lure them with some fruit. They will typically prefer to live in the box than in your roof.  

johnpietila
Just Starting Out

Preventing possums from eating produce

how can Brisbane residents prevent possums eating their garden produce?

Re: Preventing possums from eating produce

Welcome to Workshop @johnpietila

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with possums. What are you growing that they like to eat? I'm sure Workshop members will be happy to help. There's also plenty of tips in this older discussion - Your tips for keeping possums away.

Feel free to post on Workshop anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We look forward to reading about your projects and plans, and are confident that our community will provide plenty of helpful tips, information and inspiration along the way. 

Let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

All the best,

Jason

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @johnpietila

I'm a wildlife rescuer/carer and I currently have two possums rehabilitating in my backyard  LOL

Have a read of this article as it has some good suggestions:
Living with Possums

Good luck!

Deanna 

What are they eating @johnpietila? Can you tell us a bit about your vegie garden so we can provide some advice? Have you tried nets or any deterrents so far? Odour repellants can work.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Anyone seen this in Bunnings? 

It doesn't seem to be on the website.

https://www.openforum.com.au/protecting-your-garden-from-possums/

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

pjturner2008
Cultivating a Following

Whether we like it or not possums are a native animal and are protected in Australia. They are by no means as big a problem here as they are in New Zealand. My resident possums are now leaving my fruit and vegetables alone since I have been feeding our local family. They love bananas, pawpaw, sultanas, pear and stone fruit. They arrive on my balcony at 9.00pm sharp every evening for dinner and they are quite affectionate. I look forward to their visits and they now leave my crops alone. Give it a go.

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experiences @pjturner2008. Looking forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project or have something to share with our members. 

Jason

kjs
Just Starting Out

Hi there - we have a lovely feature feijoa tree in our back garden. Only problem is the possums love it as much as we do. We've given up expecting fruit. Now we're just aiming for foliage on the top 2/3s of the canopy and an end to the boundless possum poo under the tree every morning. The possums are accessing the tree from across a brick and timber boundary fence. Spraying the foliage would be challenging as the tree is in a raised bed and is 4-5 metres high. Any thoughts for something that could be applied to the wall and fence? Or will this just encourage them to climb the tree from the ground up. Our dog refuses to sleep outdoors at night so he's not an option. IMG_0857.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects