Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

deep fall at the backyard

MarieAlvarez
Finding My Feet

deep fall at the backyard

Hello everyone,

We are now on our frame stage and we have observed that on our backyard has a fall so we need a retaining wall. Please see photo 1. If we will level the backyard with our slab it will nearly fill half of the fence and I know this is a dangerous thing with our neighbour at the back.

8BF3435D-4C7D-4393-9FFF-35CF935FC92A.jpeg

We have contacted our fencer and he told us we need a retaining wall on side of the fence and it will take up a meter if the space of the backyard. I was anxious since my plan for our backyard is may garden area so I do not want to lose any space. The length of the backyard from the back of the house up to the fence is 3.2m.

So I researched on how to avoid wastege of space and I found the following:

972C8B36-2B1B-4DDE-972E-D50327A45260.jpeg5608C3FD-05D7-47B8-8EA0-121EF5E512F0.jpegI just don’t know how to apply these on our backyard since our space is too narrow.

Hope evryone can help me with it.

Thank you in advance😀

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: deep fall at the backyard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MarieAlvarez. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

Do you need to raise the soil to be flush with the slab? Perhaps a comprise of filling halfway up the slab would allow a smaller retaining wall and not so much of the yard being sacrificed. Whether you are going to do tiering as in your images or a singular retaining wall you'll still be sacrificing usable land. Are you just after areas to plants things or do you want a grassed area?

You'll also need to check with your local council as to the regulations around retaining walls and their proximity to boundary fences. Employing the services of an engineer might also be of assistance.

You could be interested in reading these previous discussions about levelling backyards:

Let me mention a few of our landscaping and gardening experts @Adam_W@Yanick and @Ricardo to see if they could add to the conversation.

We look forward to assisting with your project and offering some solutions to levelling your yard.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

We wish the soil to be flushed on the slab. The reason I want the tiers is that it gives us double purpose a retaining wall plus a ready garden bed. I am after may plant areas.

@MarieAlvarez,

The tiered design will certainly give you some great garden beds. You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to build a retaining wall

What sort of plants do you wish to grow?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects