Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

replacing natural grass with fake one

Sam2
Just Starting Out

replacing natural grass with fake one

was wondering if someone can guide me to how to replace the natural grass with artificial one? is there a guide to how to buy a fake grass? i.e. UV resistance. 

My main concern, if it rains after installing the fake grass, where the water would go? do I have to install a drainage system?

I have a tight budget and was thinking about doing it myself

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: replacing natural grass with fake one

Hi @Sam2,

Welcome to the Workshop community. Great to have you join us. We have helpful members sharing wonderful advice and project inspiration every day, so I'm sure you'll find Workshop helpful for all your projects around the house and garden. 

I would recommend you start with the Bunnings D.I.Y. advice on How to lay synthetic turf. You might also like to share some photos of the area in which you would like to install the new turf. That way members can see what you are working with and provide more specific advice. I know helpful members like @ProjectPete have plenty of experience with laying synthetic turf and I'm sure would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Sam2 from memory I believe synthetic turf has a series of drainage holes in it, however it won't solve any existing drainage issues. If there are any I would most certainly be dealing with those prior to laying it.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Did my court yard with Bunnings syngrass over a layer of brickies sand compacted by walking and flood levelling beforehand.

Then holes in syngrass allow any water through. Drains to a low point and pit and piped away with a length of PVC pipe.

Still good after years, kids and dogs love it. Can get hot in direct sun, a cover of white sand helps with the temperature.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@cadsman thanks for your input, great to get experienced first hand knowledge!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

IMG_20200207_134350.jpg

Here's a pic of the area in the courtyard. I tried to get the morrocan style of pavers, which I cut the syngrass around, and the whole feel of coolth. The overhead membrane is retractable and I have a evaporative cooler arrangement with a infinity edged water feature to complete the impression and objective.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects