Workshop
Ask a question

Splashback solution help please!

2Belindas
Making a Splash

Splashback solution help please!

Some help please!  A friend has asked me for suggestions, so I am asking all of you.  He is trying to find a splashback for his new build, which gives a WOW.  His kitchen is modern: white cupboards, grey (cement look) stone benchtop and blackbutt timber floors.   He is the chief cook, so hates the thought of cleaning grout, so doesn't want small tiles.  He doesn't like glass.  He loves dark tiles, even black.  

I am stumped.

Any ideas anyone??

Creating a beautiful home on a budget
aly
Making a Splash

Re: Splashback solution help please!

Hi @2Belindas, I mentioned in another board that my sister recently installed white pressed metal sheets as a splashback in her kitchen. I absolutely love the pressed metal look! My sister went for the simple white colour but I'm sure you could paint it any colour you desire or simply go with its natural silver look.

Thanks @aly I really hadn't thought of that at all!   With his modern kitchen, he will have to choose the pressed tin design carefully though.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

How about stainless steel for the splashback? You could have a shelf then dark tiles above. Obviously if you have tiles, you have grout. But having a stainless steel shelf would protect the tiles. I don't particularly like the example below, but it gives you an idea of the shelf. The tiles in the second pic could look great.

shelf.jpg

contemporary-kitchen.jpg

Kara85
Getting Established

I am also looking for splashback help. My kitchen sounds a bit similar - off-white cabinetry with Caesarstone benchtops and timber floors. What did your friend choose? I haven't considered pressed metal or stainless steel. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kara85,

I have tagged @2Belindas for you so she is alerted to your question.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@IsobelWhere did you get those Images from?
Anyone searching for the kitchen image/items on google
Gets directed to Best guess from 22 million images LOL...Amazon..no splash backs

Kitchen.jpg

When I posted the question, he really had his heart set on something very WOW and he loved black.  Its a big kitchen and there would have been a lot of black.  I talked him into having soft grey, the same tone as the cement look bench and he loves it.  I wanted him to tile, but he chose glass ....personally I think glass is a bit dated now.  But he's happy.  

It it was me, I would do subway tiles with pale/soft grey grout. There's an amazing variety on the market now. Or continue the stone benchtop up the wall for the splashback and add a couple of feature shelves. 

I always pull back from splashbacks that are too 'out there' wow.

They date fast and after a couple of years, I get sick of them.  Whereas I would rather go nice and plain and style the kitchen like a champion and create the wow factor with accessories I can easily change.

I hope this helps @Kara85

Belinda

Prof
Becoming a Leader

If he likes black and doesn't like grout, I would suggest black gloss acrylic..
Very easy to install and cleans beautifully..

Always good advice to avoid anything that dates too quickly.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects