Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

50’s kitchen

Stellawang
Just Starting Out

50’s kitchen

Hello everyone, I just move into a 1950s house and kitchen is out of date 

With 2000 budget, I don’t think it’s enough to put a new kitchen.
I would like to paint cabinet doors but the mesh holes vent in door does annoy me, if I remove the vent, is it possible to fill the hole?

I want to replace the benchtop, but not sure if I could remove it without damaging tiles and cabinets

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 50’s kitchen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Stellawang and congrats on your new house. I'm sure our ever helpful community members will be more than happy to assist you with your kitchen renovation project.

I would recommend you start by having a look at what the @MakeItYours team achieved with a very small budget with their recent kitchen and dining room makeover. The team utilised the increasingly popular Dulux Renovation range, which Workshop member @stevem also used with brilliant results that he shared here - Painting kitchen cabinet doors.

Other discussions you might get inspiration from:

Let me also tag the wonderful @redracer01 and @Mathy to see if they might like to kick off the discussion for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @Stellawang,

Can I also please encourage you to share a plan of your kitchen with dimensions so members can better appreciate what you are working with and make some suggestions for you? We're here to help.

Jason

Ari
Having an Impact

@Stellawang  the mesh holes annoy me too, but I'd spend my $2,000 on different things.

$250 paint the cabinets and handles yourself

$150 new kitchen sink

$150 new tapware

$500 replace benchtop

$400 plumber

$400 cabinet maker to install benchtop

With another $300-$400 I'd tile the floor myself and buy new cupboard handles  

HTH

Ari

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Stellawang,

In addition to @Ari's comment, I would advise filling those holes with Builder's Bog. Simply mix up the bog, fill the hole and sand it smooth.

If the tiles sit on top of the benchtop it might be a little bit difficult to get it off without damaging the tiles. If the benchtop is glued down to the cabinetry that can also be an issue. If it is only attached with brackets then it would be relatively easy to remove without damaging anything.

Please let us know if you need further assistance with your project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects