Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can this Wall be removed to open up the kitchen lounge area or it a structural wall

Craig72
Just Starting Out

Can this Wall be removed to open up the kitchen lounge area or it a structural wall

00A5D868-F79F-45D7-9DB0-5079D00F8BC6.jpeg

BCFEFDAA-ED84-4BAB-A6DC-BD3979374F9E.jpeg

FB99B196-C59C-4A6D-AAD8-0A3A63BA62CA.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can this Wall be removed to open up the kitchen lounge area or it a structural wall

Hi @Craig72,

You might like to have a read through this previous discussion: Remove load bearing wall without permit by @diybob. Within it, our members discuss some difficulties in providing an answer on if a wall is structural.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine if a wall is structural from photos of it. A builder or engineer would need to have a look at the plans and potentially enter the roof cavity to inspect the type of roof structure to give you a confidant answer.

Here's a step-by-step D.I.Y article on How to remove a stud wall which you could find helpful in the project. I note in the first step they recommend checking with a structural engineer before removing any wall.

Please let us know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Can this Wall be removed to open up the kitchen lounge area or it a structural wall

Hi @Craig72 

As Mitchell said without seeing in the roof there is no way to definitely tell. If you have a truss roof frame you may be lucky. If I had to make a call on just the pictures you have sent  I would guess it is load bearing but would need to get in your roof to tell for sure. The protruding cealing beams each side of it suggest load bearing. In the pictures it looks like the kitchen ceiling is lower. If so was it a later addition to the house or was it a design feature. If a later addition then most likely the trusses or roof frame originally sat on that wall ie its load bearing. Unfortunately the only  way to be sure is to get someone with knowledge in your roof. JDE

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects