Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Corner cupboard hinge

JuliaO
Finding My Feet

Corner cupboard hinge

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The corner kitchen cupboard has broken off from the hinges. It’s been replaced previously but has since broken again. Pics attached. Do I need to fill with putty and start again? What’s the best way to fix this? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Corner cupboard hinge

Hi @JuliaO,

Welcome to the Workshop community. Our members would be more than happy to assist you with some advice on how best to tackle this repair job. Let me tag the helpful @MitchellMc who might like to kick off the discussion.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden, and please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site. We're here to help.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @JuliaO. Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to guide you through the process I would recommend.

As this is a corner cupboard with two panels, the hinges bear more weight than a standard door causing more stress on them. This is the likely cause for the fixings not holding correctly. To repair the hinges successfully, they need to be installed into solid material.

Sand the flaking chipboard and laminate with 180 grit sandpaper, being careful not to damage the surrounding laminate. Fill the holes with Selleys Liquid Nails Clear Construction Adhesive, then let it cure fully.  Apply Turbo Builders Bog over the damaged area, wait for it to cure and sand flat once again. You can then paint the area a similar colour to the cupboard disguising the repair. Once this process is complete, re-drill the fixing holes and install the hinges into the solid material.

I've added a D.I.Y Advice video on How to install cabinet hinges below. I trust it proves helpful to you.

If you need further advice on the installation of the hinges or have any questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That’s super helpful Mitchell! Thank you very much! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects