Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dishwasher inlet installation | Drain hose

vinzzze
Finding My Feet

Dishwasher inlet installation | Drain hose

Hi Bunnings community members and experts,

To prepare for our incoming first 60cm dishwasher, I’m preparing the location where the unit will be installed.

May I seek for an advice from our experts regarding the inlet valve and drain hose? Some plumbing site says that it is required for the inlet valve to have a mini stop tap and a pressure limiting valve. Looking at my existing connection, I have the below valve under my kitchen sink which is connected to the cold-water pipe (looks like an aux valve). Is this enough or do I really need to replace or install another attachment for the pressure limiting valve?

vinzzze_0-1661089399020.png

Second is for the drain hose, most manufacturer instruction is to create some sort of a high loop by attaching the hose to the underside of the cabinet, then to the drain.

vinzzze_1-1661089449485.png

This is what I am thinking to do, yellow is my illustration of how I will route the drain hose, from the access hole, then goes up (behind sink) then goes around the sink, ending in the drain. The hose will have a 850mm total height from ground level. Problem with this is it will be difficult to impossible to secure the host behind the sink because of the tight space (not unless I can find a long screwdriver to reach it)

Blue line is the second probable route of the hose from the hole then secured to the second panel of the cupboard then to the drain. Hose will have a total height of 490mm.

vinzzze_2-1661089498563.png

What is your advise / opinion regarding these two possible route? Is yellow workable? (may need extension hose) will blue  cause draining problem or is it even compliant?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dishwasher inlet installation | Drain hose

Hi @vinzzze,

That's a mini stop tap/cock or isolation valve. It's just a tap to ensure you can stop the water if there is an issue or you remove the dishwasher.

Regarding a pressure limiting valve (PLV), I'd refer to the requirements of the machine. The pressure at your property needs to be suitable for the machine. If your area has high pressure, you might already have a limiting valve on the property. If there is already a PLV on the property, you might not need one specifically for the machine. It's always best to follow the advice of a qualified installer, though.

You'll need to follow the manufacturer's requirements with the drainage hose. If you follow your yellow route and come up at an angle from under the sink, you should get at least one screw in a saddle clip. Would a drill driver fit in between the sinks as it looks very close? Alternatively, you only need to go to 770mm, so would that be just below the sinks? Perhaps the hose would be easier to mount at that height.

One of the issues with your blue line is if the sink pipe backs up slightly from the trap, sink water will start flowing into the dishwasher drain pipe.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Dishwasher inlet installation | Drain hose

Thanks @MitchellMc I appreciate the advise. The installer just followed the yellow route but a bit lower (700mm) and did not advice the PLV. I can install it but in his years of installing dishwasher (installer guy)  in my suburb, it is not always necessary.

I had to fix the cabinet and remove some of the panels to slot in the dishwasher. I'll post some photo later in how the hose is routed.

but this is what the installation looks like. will need to replace the floor /side moulding. the flooring is exposed since I had to cut the kickboard.

just a note for those who is planning to install a dishwasher, the installer will not do the cabinet nor the plumbing for you (maybe some minor things like drilling a hole for the hose).

Before

vinzzze_0-1661740211163.png

after

vinzzze_1-1661740317585.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects