Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need a splashback?

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Do I need a splashback?

Our new kitchen has been installed this week and I'm still undecided on the splashback.

I have spoken to a Tiler and in order to put subway tiles on to the bricks, we need to add a concrete sheet first. The length is 4.8m and I know it will cost a fair bit...

I don't think it's worth it for a kitchen that is being ripped out in 18 months! 

I am thinking of just painting the rest of the exposed bricks with Taubmans 3 in 1 (it's a primer, sealant and undercoat in one) which I have done with the rest of the wall. It's really easy to wipe clean if anything splashes on to it.

I was also going to seal the gap between the benchtop and bricks with a gap filler to ensure no food falls down the back of the cabinets.

Thoughts?

Kitchen - new 2.jpg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Do I need a splashback?

@KingStreetReno

Do you know what you are going to be using that brick wall for when the kitchen is ripped out?

I guess there are two considerations: cleanliness over the next 18 months because you definately will get spills on the bricks and any possible permanent damage that the spills might cause... 

aly
Making a Splash

Kitchen looks great @KingStreetReno! I'd be inclined to just paint the bricks as, like you said, the kitchen will be updated again in the coming future. I guess you'd have to decide whether the cost of the splashback is really worth the appearance improvement as I would think the bricks would withstand general kitchen wear. Personally, I'd prefer to save the money and spend it on the next phase...good luck deciding!

This wall is being completely knocked down @Kermit. We have boundary issues and it's easier to just knock the wall down than to deal with bureaucracy!

Thanks @aly - we are already over budget so I'm inclined to just leave the bricks. 

@KingStreetReno - I agree with @Kermit, 18 months of general use will leave you with some pretty dirty bricks. If you are going to go down the no splashback route, I'd at least recommend steering clear of cooking bacon.

ShaunRoberts
Just Starting Out

maybe get some clear perpex cut to size and drilled with holes and screw onto the wall -perspex is cheap enough - maybe even frosted - hard to seal gaps but only temporay anyway.

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your advice @ShaunRoberts. Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I hope you find plenty of great ideas, inspiration and information on the site. I'm looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Please post again soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects