Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gas cooking burner on my stove making popping noise

MYC
Building a Reputation

Gas cooking burner on my stove making popping noise

In the last few days, one of my gas cooking burners making popping noise while cooking.  It was fine at turning on, but then keeps making popping noise.  The other remaining burners are ok. This is 7 years old cooking stove.  Have checked the cap, and always clean after cooking. 

Is this dangerous  or any possibility of explosion?  No smell of gas.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gas cooking burner on my stove making popping noise

Hi @MYC,

I just wanted to follow up and see how you are going with this issue. It is imperative that you have this checked by a qualified professional and cease using the burner entirely until then. My concern is that there is an issue with the gas flow, per @EricL's response above. The danger here is if the gas flow drops enough, the flame will extinguish. If the flame goes out and the gas continues flowing, you'll fill your house with gas. This could have devastating consequences.

Please have this checked as soon as possible and do not use this burner in the meantime.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MYC
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell and Eric,

Thank you for both of your advice and concern.   My husband made extra effort to have thorough cleaning the burner many times and all around it like brand new.  The issue stopped, so relieved.   Yet, all of your valuable advices and concerns are noted and will watch out cautiously.   

So glad to be part of this Bunnings workshop community.    Many thanks.  Miriam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's good to hear that you appear to have resolved the issue, Miriam (@MYC).

Given that this looks to be a gas supply issue and not necessarily something that can be fixed by cleaning, I'd recommend you still have the stove checked out by a professional. It could have been a coincidence that it stopped making the noise when cleaned. If this issue comes back when you are not attending to the stove, it could result in carbon monoxide poisoning (a result of incomplete combustion), fire, and explosion.

Please have a read of this advice on gas safety.

Stay safe.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MYC
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,
Many thanks for your valuable advice.  I am hoping to have a professional plumber/gas fitter to check out for peace of mind.
Thanks for the information of gas safety, carbon monoxide is scary, definitely need to check.

Will let you know how this goes.

Thanks
Miriam

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects