Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Halfway through the kitchen revamp

lockers
Cultivating a Following

Halfway through the kitchen revamp

So I have done the first part of our kitchen refresh.  The original kitchen had brown doors with a cream benchtop.  The photo of the front of the island looks to have brown still coming through but this is from the light.

We have had the original kitchen now for 13 years and thought we would brighten it up a bit as it was looking a bit dated.  Gas cooktop was also replaced by a Bosch Induction.  We used the Dulux Renovation range for the doors and panels as well as Zinsser undercoat.  If I had my time over again and was confident enough I would have used a spray gun rather than the roller.  As you can see from the two primers, the spray gave the better coat.  Another heads up, with the Dulux Primer you have three days from the time you mixed the hardener with the primer to get things done.  That was a bit of a rush with 22 doors plus a number of drawers I had to prime and limited room to put everything.

So finished product took 1 coat of primer, 2 x undercoat then 3 coats of paint to cover the dark coloured doors.  I will probably have to run over the cupboards with another coat as there appears to be a bit of the dark shade coming through, so perhaps 4 coats would be better. In the end I think it turned out well and has made the kitchen brighter.

Next step is the benchtops which I am planning on painting black using the Rust-oleum Benchtop kit and using the spray marble effect to add a bit extra to benchtops before sealing.

65993_486905806078_1391651_n.jpg

Steps

Step 1

Remove, sand and clean the doors and cabinets.

Step 2

Prime the surfaces with the Dulux Primer, then add the undercoat.  This was done with a roller.  

pro-TqodhOfm.jpeg

Step 3

pro-FzhED2qN.jpeg

The used the spray version of the Zinsser undercoat

lockers
Cultivating a Following

Re: Halfway through the kitchen revamp

Thanks @Jason 

Looking at moving through the house now and updating it.  After 13 years it is showing its age.  Only issue with the revamp is the Kitchen Mixer, installed it all and hooked it up straight from the box and the button on the head unit does nothing.  Is meant to have a changeable spray but only has one.  Need to see if there is any way to just replace the head unit rather than having to remove the whole thing again.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Was that one of our kitchen mixer taps @lockers? If so, I'd happily contact the manufacturer to see if just one part can be replaced. Alternatively, you can speak with the team in-store to see if a replacement part is available.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lockers
Cultivating a Following

All good thanks @MitchellMc , was actually user error.  Found out you need to just about push the button through to the other side of the head to get it to switch sprays.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects