Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I prep a fridge for painting?

kaz1960
Finding My Feet

How do I prep a fridge for painting?

20221227_121617.jpg

G'day.. I have a standard silver Mitsubishi fridge. The door is metal and the sides are plastic..I think! 

Just wanted some advice on the prep work for painting it.

Just going a satin black and then adding a few bits on the front to turn it 'Steampunk' 

I do a heap of DIY but never a fridge.

Do I sand and prime and if so what primer is affordable. I've looked here at all the paints but don't fancy the spray cans as I can't move the fridge outside and have a large parrot in the same open area space..

Thanku so much

Cheers Kaz

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I prep a fridge for painting

Hi @kaz1960,

You'll want o to avoid all paints that contain Volatile Organic Compounds if there is a parrot in the vicinity. It would be my advice to relocate the parrot or fridge for the time being so you can use appropriate paints on the refrigerator. Even if you use paintable products, they will adversely affect your parrot, and my concern is that they could cause serious injury. Do not paint any products that contain VOCs around birds. Most paints contain VOCs.

Sanding and then priming before the top coating is the basic procedure.

If you have any questions we could assist with, our members would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how do I prep a fridge for painting

Thanku so much Mitchell that's very kind and considerate mate and I really appreciate it. 

Luckily I can wheel the cage outside which is far easier than the fridge. 

Great advice and again thanku very much 😃

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects