Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I prepare this wall for tiling?

alexwilliams
Finding My Feet

How do I prepare this wall for tiling?

02A0E276-D48E-4A55-BAA1-48D94836D320.jpeg

C1E8D808-1D74-4D55-BEA1-1F4A3248A278.jpeg

3B97961C-5908-45C4-AEC0-383474840ADB.jpeg

Hi all

I have enthusiastically removed the old and dated tiles in my kitchen and removed half the wall in the process!! What’s the best method to prepare ahead of tiling?  Does this require the plaster to be cut out and redone or is there a better way?  Is that difficult?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i prepare this wall for tiling?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @alexwilliams. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing a wall for tiling.

You have a couple of options. One option is to patch up any holes or damaged areas with a suitable plaster filler. Apply the filler, let it dry, and then sand it down until it's smooth. Another option is to completely remove the damaged plaster and then reapply a fresh section of plaster sheet. You could replace the sheeting, but it's a fair amount of work and I don't think the current sheeting is compromised enough to warrant it.

It appears that in most areas, you'll likely be able to fill the sections and sand the wall flat. It doesn't need to be perfect, but the flatter the surface, the easier it will be to tile. I think you'd find that many professionals would just tile over this as is; once the tiles are on, you'll never know. The adhesive itself will do a good job of filling the voids. I'd fill the larger voids with plaster filler, wait for it to dry, and then sand flat if needed. I'd then tile straight over the area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Amazing, thanks so much Michael - I’ll give it a go and let you know how I get on!!

Here are a couple of videos that should assist with the tiling after you repair the wall sheet @alexwilliams.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects