Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I refresh this kitchen?

Lime
Getting Established

How do I refresh this kitchen?

Hi everyone. We have just bought our 1st home. 4 more weeks to go until we get our keys to the house. Just thought I ask for some ideas on how I can refresh this old kitchen with a more modern look with tight budget. I would probably have to look around for some handyman to help with the reno since I have no tools, nil experience and work 2 jobs with two young kids to care. I know this community is mostly for DIY projects, but I hope some can shed some ideas to help me. 

Few things I really need will be:

1. Install a rangehood or similar kind on top of the stove. Will this be possible while keeping part of cupboard above or do we have to move that section of cupboard?

2 change the sink to double sink, or if possible add dishwasher.

3. change the tap to mixer tap. I also want to change the tap in bathroom (vanity and shower) to mixer tap, is this something possible without having to remove the tiles?

I am sorry if the question sounds very silly. The kitchen is very small too so I would need most of the storage it currently has. What would be the rough budget to touch up this space?

B541FDED-4C7D-4C9C-A2F5-6E2D5D41CA34.jpeg

CEBC85F4-F1B9-41C3-A4F7-0C38C47B8FC7.jpeg

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you all.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I refresh this kitchen?

Welcome to the Workshop community @Lime. Many thanks for your questions, I'd be happy to start the discussion.

Congratulations on buying your first home, what an exciting time in your lives! 

If you were wanting a ducted range hood, then you will lose the lower portion of that double cupboard and also will have the pipework running through the top portion of it. There are some non-ducted Slimeline options such as the Bellini 60cm White Slimline Rangehood which could be installed into the lower portion of the cupboard. It doesn't appear there is enough room to mount a slimline range hood underneath the cabinets, as they are generally required to be installed at least 60cm from the elements.

As you already have a single bowl with a drainer either side of the sink, it indicates there is room to fit a double sink in its place. The challenge will be to find a double sink which suits the cutout in the bench. You might need to have a look underneath to see how much of the benchtop was cut away in its installation. Is the entire section of bench removed where the sink is? If the entire section of the bench is removed then you would have to replace it and then have the new double sink installed into the new section. If you can let me know if the bench is cut out and what the size is, I would be more than happy to search for some double sink options for you.

Generally, with the way the pipework is situated for separate hot/cold taps, anytime you were to change the two taps to a single mixer tap both tile and plumbing work will need to accompany it. In my shower, I had the older style hot and cold taps. I couldn't change them to a mixer without relocation work, but I was able to install some nice quarter turn ceramic disk taps instead.

Let me mention the fantastic @redracer01 to see if he might like to join the discussion also.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lime
Getting Established

@MitchellMc Thank you so much. Your post is very useful for me. Sorry I am only able to check the forum at night. I think I may now let go the mixer tap idea, and see if I can find nice hot cold taps instead. The slimline range hood may work for us and I will check out the item you recommend. Does it need electrician to install it? As I don’t think there is any power socket in that cupboard. If electrician is doing the installation, will they cut off the lower part of the cupboard too or Do I need to organise someone else to cut the cupboard? Thanks a lot for your advice.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Lime 

Looking at your kitchen seems to me that it was built in the late 80's with a 70's sink. This sink has now dictated the non standard size of your cabinets. But enough about the past how do we bring this beauty into the 2020's with a shoe string budget.

1. Remove the bench top and the stainless steel sink. Replace with a timber bench top accacia solid oiled hardwood project panel. It will have to be trimmed down to the original size of the bench top.

2. Replace the sink with a Mondella square double bowl sink. You will need to triple check the cabinet size to make sure this sink fits and that the distancing is correct for the bench top so that there is enough gap at back and front.

3. Your tap ware might be upgraded but the cost is almost the same as having it replaced. I suggest getting ceramic soft turn spindles, you get the convenience without the big price tag.

4. I suggest stick on tiles to upgrade the look. There are so many to choose from just google it.

5. Change the lino! I suggest something that will blend with your new bench top.

6. You will need to sacrifice 1 1/2  wall cabinets to insert the range hood. It must be higher than your cabinets because you have a gas cooker. The rules for gas cooker exhausts are different from electric cook tops. The handy man will have to "patch" the cut cabinets and repair the wall behind the cabinets if needed.

7.Paint the doors with white satin finish Dulux laminate paint. You can replace the handles with new ones of your choice.

8. Paint the timber trim on your window to a medium grey.

It may seem daunting but a competent handy man can do this project in  a few days. Stay confident and dream of what could be! All the items I mentioned can be sourced from Bunnings. I hope the pictures give you inspiration to explore your options. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

Lime1.jpgLime2.jpgLime3.jpgLimefront.jpgScreenshot_2020-05-26 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Solid Oiled Hardwood Project Panel.pngScreenshot_2020-05-26 Mondella Rococo Square Double Bowl Sink.pngScreenshot_2020-05-26 Senso Lifestyle 3m Wide Timber Clear Sheet Vinyl Flooring.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Lime
Getting Established

Hi @redracer01, I am so grateful for your input and ideas. Thank you for taking the time to respond in such details. The floor is actually tiles. Can vinyl plank be stick directly on tiles? Also This may be very silly question to ask, are we allowed to offer job to do in this Workshop community? Would be very happy if I can. Maybe this is a question for the moderator? I really appreciate all this reply👍

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Lime 

The answer is yes! You can stick self sticking vinyl plank to tiles. As for your second question let me tag our moderators @MitchellMc  and @Jason and see if they can answer that second question for you. I'm glad I could help you with the ideas.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Lime,

Thanks for checking in. 

We've had strong feedback from members that they don't want advertising on Workshop, so we would ask that you don't post requests for tradesmen. We feel there are already sites that exclusively cater to connecting tradies with customers such as hipages and Airtasker. Of course Bunnings also offers a range of in-home services you might like to consider. 

Thanks again, we are looking forward to seeing what you can do with your kitchen refresh. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have any questions about how to get the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lime
Getting Established

Hi @Jason  Thank you for the clarification. Totally understand. Good to know the rule. 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects