Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to best fill in space beside stove?

Katehealy33
Just Starting Out

How to best fill in space beside stove?

There is a 20 mm  space on either side of our freestanding electric stove between stove and cabinets, do you have any suggestions on how best to fill that in safely? Thank you for your advice

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to best fill in space beside stove?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Katehealy33. It's wonderful to have you join us and we look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. As this is an amazing community full of helpful, clever and creative people, we're confident you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration for this project as well as many others to come.

Let me tag the wonderful @redracer01 to see if he might like to kick off the discussion with his suggestions. (My first thought was that it was a shame you didn't have 20cm rather than 20mm as you could do something like this...) I'm sure @MitchellMc will also be keen to assist when he is back online on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to best fill in space beside stove?

Hello @Katehealy33 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. Normally the gap is practical to allow for the ovens air circulation. How ever if you wish to cover this you can easily use a piece of dressed timber painted in high gloss to the same color as your doors and panels. This panel that you will attach to your kitchen will eventually turn yellow and discolor due to the intense heat of the oven when the air blasts out when opening the oven door ( this phenomenon usually takes a couple of years to occur ). You could attach some angled aluminum edging to the panel to protect it from the heat. Below is a drawing of what you could possibly do to cover the gap. I hope the suggestion helps. Perhaps Mitchell might have some other ideas when he returns.

Cheers,

Red

Please note : To be painted to the color of the cabinets.Please note : To be painted to the color of the cabinets.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi Katehealy,

I would go about it in a different way..

Your cupboards are obviously fixed in place and I'm sure you don't want to move your oven out just to fix a piece of timber to the side of the cabinet..

I would measure the gaps in several places down the gaps just in case there is some variation and then get a couple of pieces of timber such as a standard 70 x 35 DAR Pine and take them to a cabinet maker and ask them to plane down the 35mm.thickness to 1mm thicker than the maximum gaps you have either side of the stove and the cupboards..

Then you can just force the timber in between the gaps..

Re: how to best fill in space beside stove?

Thank you Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Katehealy33,

Is it just a gap between the cabinetry and oven, or is there a gap where the bench meets it also? You might like to post an image so we can get a better idea of the situation. Would closing the 20mm gap completely impede the door from opening, or is it proud of the cabinetry? 

I like the idea of using aluminium edging, and you could glue it in place with Liquid Nails clear if moving the oven was an issue. Metal Mate 20 x 12mm x 3m 1.4mm White Powder Coated Aluminium Angle could be an option as it would close the 20mm gap and has a white powder-coated paint finish.

Please let us know how you go and if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects