Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut a tile lengthways?

Lyndah
Just Starting Out

How to cut a tile lengthways?

Hi,

I'm trying to cut subway tiles 300x75mm. I need to cut them lengthways about 10 -15mm wide.

I can't seem to snap without breaking on the tile cutter unless they're about 20mm wide. I've tried the grinder but that's too hard to get such a narrow piece of tile.

Any suggestions? Maybe I need a new wheel for the cutter but it cuts ok when the cut us not so narrow. I don't have a wet saw.

Thanks 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Tile cutting lengthways

Depending on how many you have to do you could hire a tile table saw from Bunnings or buy a wet bench tile saw the guide and extra support helps with thin cuts. I bought a cheap ozito wet tile table saw I find it good for thin stuff. J D E

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tile cutting lengthways

Hello @Lyndah

It's great that you've received an excellent suggestion from @JDE. Hiring a tile table saw is the best way to go about cutting your tiles. My suggestion is to calculate the number of tiles you will need to cut. You just need to decide If cutting the tile with a new grinding wheel is more cost-effective but takes more time or hire the table saw and cut the tiles quickly but pay for the rental. I'll leave the decision up to you.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we would be keen to see your tiling project once it's finished.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects