Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of black spots on kitchen sink?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to get rid of black spots on kitchen sink?

Hello BW,

Are the black spots a mold or debris. Eitherway, can it be cleaned with a tool or should be sink be completely removed. Any solution can seep in for the complete clean of the mold / debris. The sink has been cleaned every day. However, it is around 2 years from the clean state to below view. Is there anything we have to do during daily maintenance of the sink.

nagumuthu_0-1676201682859.png

Thanks for your time.

Happy Maintaining your space for positivity.

MM.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get rid of black spots on kitchen sink?

Hi @nagumuthu,

It's most likely debris and possibly a bit of mould that's built up slowly over time. I'd suggest getting an old stiff bristle toothbrush and giving the area a good scrub. The bristles should reach into the gap and dislodge the material. Failing that working, use a toothpick or something similar to scratch out the debris.

I'd recommend picking up a Sabco Soft Grip Grout Brush for ongoing maintenance. Maybe once a week, dip it in hot soapy water and give the area between the benchtop and sink a quick scrub. That will prevent this debris from building up.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MitchellMc 

With Sabco Soft Grip Grout Brush it helped a bit to remove the debris. But not all. When a tooth pick is used, realised that it the debris on top of silicon (between the sink and the benchtop).

nagumuthu_0-1676612803762.png

nagumuthu_1-1676612842510.png

Should I cut away the protruding silicon (where on top debris is found).

Thanks

MM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nagumuthu 

I suggest removing as much of the debris as possible but leaving the silicone intact. The silicone seal is important to your sink and prevents water from passing through the join. I don't recommend cutting or removing it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hello @EricL 

Mechanical actions ( clean using tooth pick ) does not help, rather puncture the silicon.

Are there any solutions available that remove debris from silicon.

Does Bleach help either. Does it react with silicone.

Thanks

MM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nagumuthu 

I suggest using cleaning vinegar as it is a more effective cleaner. Put a few drops of vinegar on your brush and apply it to the stubborn area. Take your time as the vinegar will need a few minutes to take effect on the mould. Several applications might be necessary, but the good news is that it will kill the mould on top and the mould roots as well. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects