Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to measure and select new kitchen cupboard doors?

Lee777
Getting Established

How to measure and select new kitchen cupboard doors?

Hi Guys,

When measuring for kitchen cupboard doors is there a process/ procedure / allowances that need to be followed. New cupboards are installed.

Also, is there a hierarchy of quality when is comes to selecting door materials and finishes? If so what is it. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to measure and select new kitchen cupboard doors?

Hi @Lee777,

Thank you for your question about measuring kitchen cupboard doors.

The place to start would be to decide on the type of door you want to install. I have done a render of the three main types; overlay, half overlay and inset, below.

Once you've decided on a type of door, you should measure the height and width of the opening. The door will dictate where you measure from and measure to.

For example, an inset door sits inside the cabinet carcass on all sides so you would take your measurements inside the cabinet. With an overlay door, you would measure in front of the cabinet.

The next thing to consider is the shadow line. A shadow line is the gap between the doors and the cabinets. In an inset door, there will be a shadow line around all 4 sides of the door such as in this example below.

This gap is usually around 2mm on each side. In the above photo, as there are two doors, you would want to measure the height of the opening and then remove 4mm to accommodate 2 shadow lines and then measure the width of the opening, divide by two and remove 3mm to accommodate 3 x 2mm shadow lines.

Once you've found your measurements, material choice is the next thing to think about. Generally, cabinets are made of either chipboard or MDF, which are both created by compressing wood fibres with a glue or bonding agent. Chipboard tends to be lighter, but less durable, whereas MDF is more durable but considerably heavier.

The main thing I would suggest you look for when selecting materials is that they say MR in their name. This stands for moisture resistant, meaning they are less susceptible to swelling and damage caused by moisture. Outside of this, it all comes down to personal style and aesthetics.   

Let me know if you require any clarification or would like some further assistance, I am more than happy to help.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects