Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint laminate kitchen benches?

shazmck
Just Starting Out

How to paint laminate kitchen benches?

Hi

I'm in the process of slowly renovating my kitchen and have successfully painted the wall tiles using White Knight Tile and Laminate paint.

I also want to paint my benches using the same product.

The question I have is in regard to the Bench Top Protective Coating. The area I have to cover is quite small and will only use maybe 1/4 of the product and as it is around $130 per tin I was hoping that there was another product I could use instead as a protective coating.

Also the pot life of the protective coating once mixed is 1 hour and a second coat needs to be applied within 8 hours so it seems that I might have to purchase another tin of coating or will the first coat dry sufficiently within 1 hour.

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting laminate kitchen benches

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shazmck. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about clear coating a benchtop.

The White Knight 1L Clear Bench Top Protective Coating is designed to be mixed up as required. You just need a glass container and a disposable measuring cup. The ratio is three parts of A to 1 part of B. You'll need two coats of the products, so I'd mix up half for your first coat and leave half for your second.

Unfortunately, you can't mix it all up and store it until your second coat, as it will go off after an hour, and the first coat takes longer than that to dry.

If you're are using the White Knight Tile and Laminate Paint, then it is best to stick with the same company for warranty purposes and use the White Knight 1L Clear Bench Top Protective Coating

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell

That's great

I was confused as the assistant in the store said I would have to mix it all at once as it was best not to try and measure it out as the ratio could be incorrect. Now I know it's 3 x A and 1 x B. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @shazmck 

That sounds like a great revamp project. Please make sure to post an update once you've done your benchtop. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the results.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects