Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint water-damaged laminate kitchen cabinet doors?

nikitacorry
Just Starting Out

How to paint water-damaged laminate kitchen cabinet doors?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Team,

I would like to paint my laminate kitchen cabinets but the cabinets under the sink are water damaged.

My question is - 

Can you repaint water damage laminate and if so what’s the process to prepare them for painting 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets?

Hi @nikitacorry,

You could paint over that section, but since the MDF is swollen and the laminate is degraded, you'll get a fairly sub-standard result. Given the work involved in painting cabinetry, it would be worth the extra time to repair or replace those cabinet doors. You could achieve a reasonable repair job by sanding back the swollen area until it's flush with the rest of the door. You can then fill the chipped laminate edges with Builder's Bog and sand it back to form crisp corners. Once everything is looking good, you can use the laminate primer and then paint your cabinetry. Alternatively, if repairs sound like a bit of work, you can take your door into the closest Bunnings store, and a team member can assist in finding a suitable replacement.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to paint laminate kitchen cabinets.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects