Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal coasters?

Susanne2
Getting Established

How to seal coasters?

I have painted a design on drink coasters with acrylic paint.  I want to be able to use them for hot cups and possibly plates from the oven.   Would Rust-oleum ultra cover gloss clear spray be suitable?  If not could you suggest a suitable alternative.  Many thanks for any help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to seal coasters

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Susanne2. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing coasters.

Rust-Oleum 298g 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Clear Spray Paint is an excellent choice for coating your coasters as it's commonly used for this purpose. Regarding placing hot items on it, the coating is good for up to 93 degrees celsius, so that will cover your hot cups and should be fine for your plates from the oven. If you heat your plates up past the max temperature range by accident, I suggest you use a heat-resistant silicone mat in-between the plates and the coaster, just to be safe.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell. Thank you for your quick reply. Sue

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

My pleasure Sue (@Susanne2). When you're finished with the project, it would be fantastic if you could update the discussion with some pictures. I'm sure everyone would love to see what you've created.

Mitchell

Hello Michael.  Many thanks for your help.  It has been a while to get back to you as I had to leave the coaster for a few weeks to make sure it was completely dry before spraying. The photo doesn’t do it justice but spraying the coaster really makes the colours pop.8E4BA69C-D0F7-4581-A1FB-09D576B3AC29.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If the photo doesn't do it justice, then I'd love to see it in real life @Susanne2! That's absolutely gorgeous! I love the chosen colours, and you should be really proud of your efforts. It looks sensational.

Thanks for sharing your finished project; I trust it will inspire our members to create something similar.

Mitchell

Hi there Mitchell. Thank you for your kind words.  I have oodles more to treat now I know this product works. Sue

Hello Mitchell

I’ve read your advice to Sue about using this product for an acrylic painted coaster .

would it also work for an oil painted coaster?

Thank you 

Jo

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Joanna2. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing coaster.

I would be quite confident that it would also work. However, it's always best to do a test section to determine suitability. If you are making these coasters, I'd recommend creating one to serve for the test without putting much effort into it. Trial the spray and check the durability of it and see if there are any issues. As mentioned, I'm fairly sure it will work fine, but I'd hate to ruin an artwork or something you put great effort into.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thank q so much for sound advice.

( am new to this and have asked this questions again somewhere else in the group - with a photo-sorry)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects