Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal coasters?

Susanne2
Getting Established

How to seal coasters?

I have painted a design on drink coasters with acrylic paint.  I want to be able to use them for hot cups and possibly plates from the oven.   Would Rust-oleum ultra cover gloss clear spray be suitable?  If not could you suggest a suitable alternative.  Many thanks for any help.

Re: how to seal coasters

What would you recommend for ceramic coasters if I used multi surface paint ? Would this same clear spray work out ? 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @manskersmaking. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about coating coasters.

If the coaster is entirely painted and no high-gloss glaze is showing, then the Rust-Oleum 298g 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Clear Spray Paint would certainly work. If there were any gloss glaze exposed, I would have concerns about how easily the coating might scratch off. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Wow thank you for the quick reply! I’m eager to learn more, so I’m new to this. Gloss gaze meaning? & if I were to get acrylic pant would it put out a gloss glaze? 😃 

People often make coasters from tiles @manskersmaking, which typically have a glazed coating applied through firing in a kiln. This super slick surface does not readily accept paint or coatings well, as it's non-porous. Your ceramic coasters might not have had this coating applied as you'd find on a standard bathroom tile. If you place a drop of water on the unpainted ceramic tile, does it absorb in at all or sit on the surface with no absorption? If the droplet doesn't absorb, the tile is likely coated. Feel free to post a picture of them, and I can take a look. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Depending on what sheen level (glossiness) you'd like on your finished coaster, you can get the clear topcoat in both a gloss and satin (less glossy) finishes.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I will have to come back to you with photos haven’t sought out to buy materials yet! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects