Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I need something protective for my fridge. Exposed to heat from oven.

Wouldy
Making a Splash

I need something protective for my fridge. Exposed to heat from oven.

636617168.jpg

There is no other way that I can move the fridge elsewhere. I'm concerned that the heat from the stove makes the fridge work harder. Perhaps will burn the motor out quicker as well. I'm wondering if there is something I can use to protect it. 

I'm not a fan of chipboard. It's all I've thought if so far though. Any other easy and affordable suggestions? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I need something protective for my fridge. Exposed to hear from oven.

Hi @Wouldy,

You will probably need some type of heat shield and then an air gap. You might like to take a look at our aluminium sheet options. You could cover them with insulation tape to reflect even more of the heat. Timber is also a great insulator but would need to be clad with metal to prevent flames from burning it.

The only other options I can think of are a sheet of compressed cement or sticking heat resistant silicone mats to the fridge.

Let me mention @redracer01 and @TedBear to see if they have any ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Wouldy 

I suggest using a white melamine sheet and making an artificial wall between your free standing cooker and your fridge. It is the air gap between your fridge and cooker that is important and will provide a buffer between the heat of your oven/cooker. Once built you can put a sheet of aluminum to repel heat and flames from the cooker as recommended by @MitchellMc. I hope the suggestion helps. If you could draw a picture of your current kitchen layout perhaps we can make a suggestion for another location for your fridge that you may not have considered.

Red

wouldy insulate1.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I agree with both @MitchellMc & @redracer01 in using melamine board plus an aluminium heat shield if you think that's needed. It would prevent heat marks where the oven door opens. (My kitchen has melamine boards right next to the oven, no problems except for light brown heat marks.) The existing exhaust hood appears to be made out of wood, so maybe the partition could go all the way to the top and be screwed to the side of that, which would keep it straight and look like it always belonged there. If you have, or can source, any of the splash back tiles, you could even tile the board which would a) make it "belong" , b) keep it clean and c) protect it from any heat from the cook top.

(Just pull the fridge out and attach the board to the wall with angle brackets near the bottom & centre too.)

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @Wouldy  I can't tell your real kitchen situation from this snapshot, but this could be a good opportunity to get more storage space too.

If you also add a board on the other side of the fridge (it could be attached on the edge of the benchtop if there is no gap between cupboard and fridge there. It looks tight.) with the same depth as the other side, taking it also  to the top of the wall. You could then build a half-depth (to allow air flow at the back for the fridge) cupboard between them, over the fridge for storage. It would be good to also vent it through the ceiling if possible. Add some overhead  cupboards to the left and it would be balanced and complete your kitchen.  (But I haven't seen it, so you will know if that's practical or not.)

Hi @MitchellMc @redracer01 @TedBear 

All three of you are so incredibly amazing with your ideas. I just love them. I am really time poor so at the moment, I am going to give it a go putting the fridge on the opposite wall, running an extension cord around the perimeter of the kitchen and getting the extension cord plastic holders that have the sticky parts sitting flush on the wall. I cannot remember what they are called now. I feel this will work better and is less time consuming. I am going to use the space where the fridge is for extra bench space. If this is not working so well, I am going to work on your ideas and get that going. Thanks so much for all the time you put into the community workshop here. I appreciate you all. 

Wouldy. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you've found a solution @Wouldy.

These Cobra Small Wire Saddles might be the cord holders you are thinking of.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

These were the ones I was talking about. 

Permastik Small Cable Clips – 12 Pack | Bunnings Warehouse

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects