Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for small u shaped kitchen renovation wanted

debvan
Getting Established

Ideas for small u shaped kitchen renovation wanted

My kitchen is very small 2750x 3200.  There are two walk through sliding doors connecting to other rooms.  The back wall between the doors is only 500mm so no appliances can fit there - currently I have my fridge in the bottom right hand corner which fits perfectly.  At the moment I have a wall oven and a very large hotplate which takes up so much of my limited bench space.  I have just bought an induction cooktop, which I will put an oven underneath to maximise bench space.  I would also like to include a dishwasher if possible.  Does anyone have any ideas please.

kaboodle.jpg

debv59
Just Starting Out

Re: Complete reno for a small u shaped kitchen

20220602_014823.jpg

Any ideas how l could make that corner work..The alcove cannot be adjusted as brick behind. Current the sink bench is 450m..l extending this 600mm

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tricky corner

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @debv59. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about renovating your kitchen.

What sort of renovation are you planning? If you're looking to install new cabinetry and a bench, I can't see that corner being particularly troublesome. You'll need someone to cut out the rear of a Kaboodle corner base cabinet to suit the protruding wall section. You'll then also need to cut out the benchtop to fit. It won't be as simple as installing a pre-made cabinet and bench, but it is certainly doable. I've created a rendering below to illustrate.

Since you're in the beginning stages, check out this handy guide: How to plan a kitchen renovation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
debvan
Getting Established

Thanks so much Mitchell.   I spent hours trying to design it online and it was doing my head in  I am looking at getting a complete new kaboodle kitchen and I have someone coming to my home this week.  I will show them your suggestion.

debvan
Getting Established

Hopefully they can achieve this on that tricky cornerHopefully they can achieve this on that tricky corner

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

As mentioned @debvan, it will take a bit of custom work, but it is achievable. 

You won't be able to create a custom cabinet in the Kaboodle planner. The only thing I can think of is spacing that entire row of cabinetry out at the corner and having a gap behind it. An oversized benchtop could be cut to suit and cover that gap. I'm not too fond of that solution, though, as you lose a portion of the room and the benchtop still needs to be cut to suit anyway.

I love the design you've put together. Let me mention a couple of our accomplished renovation experts @2Belindas and @redbournreno to see if they have any thoughts.

Keep us updated, and please reach out if you have further questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @debvan 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from my colleague @MitchellMc. Just to add some ideas to the suggestions made, I would like to suggest the following:

• Move your refrigerator to the opposite side so that it will not be in the way when entering your kitchen. You'll still have enough benchtop space for food preparation.

• Use wall cabinets on your wall that only has a half meter space. The wall cabinets are 320 deep and you can extend the benchtop all the way out to 500mm if you wish to, but I suggest a maximum of 350mm so that it will not look ungainly. These wall cabinets will now serve as your pantry and storage for your cooking appliances and utensils. This area also serves as an informal meal area as the microwave and kettle are located in this spot. It's better to have it in this location rather than in the corner where the sink is located.

• I've added as many wall cabinets as I can so that you can get maximum storage in your area.

I hope my suggestions help, if you wish to see the cabinetry in another configuration, please let me know. Please note that the cabinets I've used are all based on the Kaboodle flat pack system and will fit your current space.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

debvan kitchen1.jpgdebvan kitchen2.jpgdebvan kitchen3.jpgdebvan kitchen4.jpgdebvan kitchen5.jpgdebvan kitchen6.jpgdebvan kitchen7.jpgdebvan kitchen8.jpgdebvan kitchen9.jpg

debvan
Getting Established

Thank you so much Eric, some amazing suggestions there.  I have someone from Bunnings coming out on Thursday.   

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects