Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Joining benchtops to create a kitchen island

pjb
Just Starting Out

Joining benchtops to create a kitchen island

Hi I need to join two Interbuild Acacia benchtops (purchased from Bunnings) to create a kitchen island. In fact I would need to join 3 pieces to create a 1270w x 1460 bench). Is it sufficient to just use joining kits ( like the Kaboodle joiners) or must I rather put in Dowels too. I don't have a dowel hole maker and don't want to buy one if not necessary . Thanks 

PS. The island consists of IKEA Bases which are 600 deep hence the need for more than 2 benchtop pieces required to achieve 1270 widths to still have an overhang - the Interbuild sheets are only 600 wide)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: joining benchtops

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pjb. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Depending on how you intend to layout the benchtops and the amount of overhang will determine if the Kaboodle joiners would be sufficient. Can I confirm if it is just two 600 x 600mm base cabinets? If so, two 2200 x 600 x 26mm acacia panels laid lengthways would cover that area as per the picture below. Their length can be cut down to 1460mm, and they will have a width of 1200mm, which would over-hand the base cabinet by 300mm on either side. If it is four 600 x 600mm base cabinets, I would suggest that the 270mm wide board be placed in the middle and not on the outside.

You need to screw up through the cabinet base and into the underside of the benchtops. A liberal amount of exterior woodworking glue should be applied to the bench joins. This, along with the Kaboodle joiners, would be sufficient.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects