Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kaboodle door with Ikea cabinet

Dkozzie
Growing in Experience

Kaboodle door with Ikea cabinet

Hi all, I just installed a kaboodle kitchen in our house but with the location of the pantry I can only put a slimline pantry that is no wider than 400 mm and max 600mm wide. I was wondering if anyone has tried putting an IKEA cabinet with a kaboodle door and is it an easy fit? The only reason is that there is an IKEA pantry that is 600mm x 370mm deep it’s only $120. Then I was thinking of putting the 600mm antique white heritage shape Kaboodle pantry door to match the kitchen.  Thoughts?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: kabbodle door with ikea cabinet

Welcome back to Bunnings Workshop @Dkozzie! What an interesting question. Let me tag @redracer01 and @MitchellMc who may be able to help with a solution.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Dkozzie 

I see no issue putting the kaboodle door on the ikea cab. However there are some things we may need to address.

- how to tall is the ikea cabinet. On average the kaboodle pantry door is at around 2200 x 600. A few millimeters of difference will not spell doom!

- hinge position and size. Some ikea cabinets are very particular about where you put your hinges and they only allow certain spots to be mounted on. If the cabinet panels are solid and can be drilled, then we can mount the caboodle hinges. You can do vice versa and install the ikea hinges however you will need to buy a hinge drill set to drill new hinge mounting holes for the kaboodle pantry door. 

With those issues addressed then yes you can mount kaboodle door to the ikea cabinet. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dkozzie,

It's great to see you've received a prompt and helpful reply from the knowledgeable @redracer01.

Please let us know if you have further questions or run into difficulties. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Kaboodle door with Ikea cabinet

I would physically go and measure the IKEA cabinet for width and height. IKEA use some odd sizes, and I’m someone who learnt this lesson 😂 If the size is ok for both width and height you should be good to go, cheers Deb :smile:

Dkozzie
Growing in Experience

I looked at all the dimensions and it is not exact...here we go:

ikea cabinet with no legs and plinth is 600 (w) x 370(d) x 2000 (h) 

Kaboodle door is 597 (w) x 2055 (h).

Will the 3mm make a big difference for the width? I feel it will be ok

the height of the door is more but I thought maybe I could do something with that through the plinth or box up the 55mm on top of the cabinet?

Open to other suggestions!

I wish Kaboodle had more pantry options!!! They will cut the width to size but not depth! 😔

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dkozzie,

To clarify, does the IKEA cabinet have a plinth on it and what is the total height including if it does? I'd suggest possibly splitting the difference in the sizing. Instead of having a 3mm gap on the hinge side or handle side, have 1.5mm on both. 1.5mm will be barely noticeable. The same could be done with the height. If there is a plinth at the bottom, have 25mm there and 25mm at the top.

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he has some thoughts.

Mitchell

Dkozzie
Growing in Experience

Thank you Mitchell!

The IKEA cabinet (only) height is 2000mm.  Then you can add the legs and plinth of 80mm from IKEA.  I was thinking of adding the Kaboodle legs and plinth though which I believe is 145mm so it matches the rest of the kitchen.

When you say split the difference for the width of the door, I’m not sure how I do this.  I will be using the Kaboodle hinges and door.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dkozzie,

Once you install the Kaboodle door and hinges, you'll be able to adjust the position of the door on the cabinet via screws on the hinge. These screws move the door left and right. I've created an exaggerated rendering below to illustrate. Having 1.5mm on either side would be more pleasing to the eye than 3mm on one side. Here's a step-by-step guide that shows the adjustment of those screws: How To Install Cabinet Hinges.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Dkozzie
Growing in Experience

Thank you @MitchellMc 

Such a great service and help!! ☺️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects