Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen Budget Makeover

SAMMY1
Just Starting Out

Kitchen Budget Makeover

We are looking to budget Reno my sons flat - kitchen/living room

stuck on what to do with bench top and cabinets - happy to paint cabinets but not sure about bench top if to replace or use the Deluxe Renovation Range of Paint and colour scheme as we have a blues/green perspex glass splashback which needs to stay - also want to do feature wall in living area to match the darker colour in the kitchen area - any ideas

thank you guys

Kitchen at moment.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Kitchen Budget Makeover

Heya @SAMMY1, great to have you join in the discussion. We are looking forward to seeing how you can transform your son's kitchen. Thanks for sharing a photo so members can see what you are working with.

Let me tag a few expert renovators in @Mathy@2Belindas and @redracer01 to kick off the discussion for you.

Can I please ask why you want to paint the cabinets? Are they damaged or did you just want more colour? And what is the benchtop currently? Does it need replacing or is this also a purely cosmetic revamp?   

Welcome to Workshop. Feel free to reach out anytime you need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SAMMY1
Just Starting Out

hey there Jason

Kitchen bench top badly marked and does not look good anymore, also the kitchen cabinets are a funny grey,dirty blue colour and old and tired.  Looking for a revamp as not sure budget will stretch to new bench top and all that goes with it - although never painted bench top before, so any advice appreciated.

We are not sure why the bench top is maybe a Caesar stone, colours along the lines of grey Dulux renovation range is what we have been looking at 

@Mathy@2Belindas and @redracer01

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks for the extra detail @SAMMY1. That should help members better understand what you are working with and what your goals are. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @SAMMY1 - thanks for the extra information. Painting the cabinets with Dulux renovation range is very doable (I’ve not used their products, but Dulux paint and after service is quality). I thought that the bench top was possibly some sort of stone, judging by the thickness and profile. This is going to give you the most trouble - painting a bench top is never going to be a long term solution, paint just cannot stand up to the scuffing etc. Although, you could research some 2 pack epoxy marine paints - they’re expensive, but tough - they might stand up to the wear a kitchen bench gets.

1.] If it is Caesar stone, it might be possible to polish the top and improve the appearance. If you don’t know, there are some health HAZARDS with this product. I suggest you have a search of Youtube and see what the options might be. You could buy an inexpensive polisher that they use for cars (I bought one for $150) - and then cut and polish (Youtube is your friend again). But you need full respiratory PPE to be messing with artificial stone.

2.] You could replace with a laminate bench top - depending on budget, you can order one from Bunnings/Kaboodle.

3.] You could use the Rustoleum bench top product - but you need a good primer for the stone, and you need to rough it up. Make sure that when you prime it, you give it 24 hours to cure properly, before putting the top coat on.

4.] In my budget kitchen, I’m using an MDF countertop, and I’m going to pour a StoneCoat Countertop onto it. Info about this can be found at www.stonecoatcountertops.com - lots of instructional videos. Product is available from www.colourobsession.com.au - I have no affiliation with either of these companies, I just use their products.

Hopefully, this will get you started, cheers Deb

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @SAMMY1 

If budget is very tight I suggest the following.

1. If it is a stone bench top, I suggest calling a professional stone polish and repair for a quote. If it is too expensive I'm afraid you will have to put up with the bench top until the budget allows for a new one.

2. I suggest using a stick on tile for the splash back. As indicated in the example below. There are many options for stick on splash backs, once you put this on it will totally change the look and feel of your kitchen.

3. I suggest a dark gun metal grey color for your kitchen doors, looking at the surroundings you seem to have good lighting in the kitchen. The dark doors will provide excellent contrast to your white top and light colored walls.

4. You can also look for "foil stick on splash back"  it gives it that custom stainless steel finish. The options for stick and peel tiles are plenty, you just have to decide what look your going for.

5. Don't be afraid to experiment in the looks department! Good luck and tell us what you decide to do.

Cheers,

Red

no way you say? yes,this is a stick on tile sheetno way you say? yes,this is a stick on tile sheet

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects