Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen exhaust fan recommendations wanted

ThePredator
Growing in Experience

Kitchen exhaust fan recommendations wanted

Does anyone have a brand recommendation for a high value kitchen exhaust fan ?

Currently have a simple AirFlow CE250 that is stealing heating energy from our ducted reverse cycle because the idiot who designed the house was a dinosaur who did not have a smick of knowledge about airflow from kitchen to A/C air intake.

I'm looking for a good brand name reverse airflow protected exhaust fan. (Backdraft stopper)

Not interested in the DETA products 

It would need to fit a 284mm cutout because I want a direct replacement without more fitting hassles. 

This might be a tall order on short notice but maybe someone out there has come across the same problem.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen exhaust fan recommendations wanted

Hello @ThePredator

Thank you for sharing your question about exhaust fans. I'm afraid I'm currently not aware of an exhaust fan that's an all in one in line back draft fan assembly. However, I suggest putting in an inline backdraft damper like the Blauberg 150mm Inline Backdraft Damper or similar. In this manner, your HVAC system will be isolated whenever the kitchen exhaust fan is tuned on and prevent it from poaching any heat from the system.

The other option is to install an electrically operated back draft damper that seals the heating system whenever the exhaust fan is activated. Once the fan is turned off the back draft damper opens up again.

Let me call on our experienced members @MikeTNZ and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Kitchen exhaust fan recommendations wanted

Hi @ThePredator,

Do you have a picture of what you currently have?, this would make things so much easier to interpret.

Does this go through a window or something like that?

Usually you would have a rangehood, ducted out through the roof for removing cooking smells or smoke if you don't know what you're doing in the kitchen.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects