Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen layout reno advice please

Caz65
Finding My Feet

Kitchen layout reno advice please

Hi, I would be extremely appreciative for any help to see if the lack of space for a table setting can be solved in this kitchen. I lost my husband last year to a heart attack and i am a fulltime career for our adult son, so there is just the 2 of us now. I need to down size and this home , that is for sale, is perfect for us except the kitchen area, there is no dining area. The cupboards that are there are only a couple of years old and in very good nick but they are just not practical for the space. The home is double brick so not sure how easy it would be to move the door way.  I would only have a budget of 15,000 to spend.

Im really hoping someone can help a novice here. Thank you

Screenshot_20191126-203137_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20191126-203204_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20191126-203155_Samsung Internet.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: kitchen layout/reno advice please

Hello @Caz65  Im looking at your kitchen measurements. 4.11 x 2.9 is that from wall to wall? Is the 2.9 part the remaining floor space? If you will indulge me can you please measure the wall area. A 15,000 budget will change your kitchen. But do we really need to? As you say its still in good nick, perhaps a touch up and a light reno? Yes?! Send me a reply and I will see what I can come up with.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Re: kitchen layout/reno advice please

Hi redracer09 thanks for replying, those measurements are  wall to wall which leaves very little room. There's little cupboard space as most are draws. I also need to get a fridge in there and the pantry is very small. If that doorway wasnt in that place I could go L shape wall cupboards. The stove needs replacing also.  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Kitchen layout reno advice please

Welcome to Workshop @Caz65. I'm sure our helpful members will be more than happy to assist with ideas for you. Great to see you've already got a reply from the wonderful @redracer01. I'd also be curious to see what the lovely @2Belindas might suggest. 

You might be interested in taking a look at what the @MakeItYours team achieved on a reasonably small budget when renovating a kitchen and dining room of a small house. You might also consider doing a similar "makeover" rather than a full-blown renovation. 

Thanks for joining the community. Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Caz65
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the welcome Jason. The problem i have is there isnt a dining room just the kitchen and there isnt room for a table and there isnt any cupboards, just the draws. The pantry is very small, shelve depth is about 30.cm.  The room is narrow and the window is nearly the whole length of the room.  I just need to figure out away to get a small table in there.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Caz65 

Do you have a builder or engineer that you know? I assume the walls I have removed in the plan below are load bearing but if you were to replace them with beams instead then you would have a lot of space and freedom to install a lovely big island bench where the word Kitchen/Meals is that you would become the centre of your home. It could be for food preparation on the kitchen side and for sitting up to for meals on the lounge side. 

I'd also consider removing the door to the laundry and changing the pantry access.   

Plan.jpg

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

@Caz65 and @Isobel - this is a nice idea. I’m no engineer but I have taken walls down in a double brick type place. They should be able to put a beam in from the pantry area over to that wall where the linen cupboard is. Engineer needed, but, depending on roof structure, not to difficult, I don’t believe.

@Caz65 , sorry to hear about your husband, this must be a difficult time for you. Fire away with questions, we’re only too happy to help, cheers Deb :smile:

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Caz65 

This layout is based on the wall not getting taken down. If you take this to Bunnings they can quote this on the Kaboodle set.

Gloss white doors, standard hinges and drawer runners. I suggest Think timber bench tops in European Oak. The dinner table is approximately 1800mm long x 600mm in width. ( also made from European Oak ) The chairs are your choice, I only drew them in so you would see that they can be pushed into the table so that you don't hit them while walking through the kitchen. I also noticed that you had a recessed cabinet near the laundry door, I've copied the same feature so you don't have to spend money on changing the door. It's just a wall cabinet pushed forward to the correct depth. Have a look, see if it grows on you. The legs for the dinner table will have to be made. I hope you enjoy the drawings if you have any questions please send me a message here on workshop.

Cheers!Distances are approximate but this dinner table will fit the space.Distances are approximate but this dinner table will fit the space.caz652.jpgcaz653.jpgcaz654.jpgcaz655.jpgcaz656.jpgcaz657.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Looks brilliant @redracer01. Well done!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects