Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen makeover

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Kitchen makeover

image.jpgI recently completed a renovation of my in-laws' rental unit. It's a third floor one-bedder and the whole place was starting to look tired, dated and a bit grubby. In particular, the kitchen had very little bench space and a horrible old freestanding gas oven/stove combination. 

Screenshot_20210607-134741_Realestate.jpg

To begin the reno the old lino and carpet was ripped out and I installed a water resistant laminate flooring to the kitchen, living and bedroom areas. This was my second-time installing floating laminate floorboards and I love how easy and quickly they come together.

20210415_174129.jpg

Once the painting and floors were complete, it was time to update the cabinetry. We went for a kaboodle kitchen set up ordered through our local Bunnings. I found that the kaboodle planner tool was pretty easy to use and it allowed us to print a list of all the pieces we needed to order. The cabinets went together reasonably easily, I did have to cut two cabinets down to size with a circular saw as the space I had to work with was slightly smaller than off-the-shelf dimensions would work (I have since realised that kaboodle will make cut to measure cabinets, which I will be trying next time)

20210424_161723.jpg

Once the cabinets were in I had an electrician and plumber install the oven, stove top and water connections. The final tradie job was to have a tiler retile the splashback with subway-style mosaic tiles and black grout. To match the benchtop I also used a small slotted gum panel to reframe the window sill.

image.jpg

5d52d1fc-3747-425e-8d4e-ed42c88943e5.jpg

(the fridge has been relocated to opposite the end of the island bench) 

As this project was done around my full time work it took 6 weeks of weekends and after work time to complete the whole unit, but it was a really rewarding experience. 

If anyone has any questions about the specific materials I used or more detail about how I went about it I'd be happy to answer them 😃

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Kitchen makeover

Well done @tom_builds. You've done a terrific job of transforming this space. I especially love your choice of benchtop, and it's lovely to have so much more bench space now too.

I know you've been with us for some time now, but let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to see you sharing your first project with us, and thanks for including plenty of detail and images so that we can see how you tackled this project. It's bound to be inspiring for other members looking to freshen up their kitchen.

Look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @StevieB , I appreciate the feedback. I have been pretty busy this year with a heap of projects around my house and the unit from this post,  so will be uploading more content soon.

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Geez , how great is this !! Looks fantastic @tom_builds 😍

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations @tom_builds. What a fantastic result. Looking forward to seeing what you tackle next - you obviously have fantastic skills and experience to share with the community. 

Thanks for the offer of sharing more specifics about materials used. It's typically what our members want to know so they can replicate your handiwork. I'm sure our members would love to know more, so please fire away.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Absolutely inspiring work, @tom_builds! You've really achieved a fantastic transformation of this space.

I can't wait to hear more details.

Many thanks for contributing.

Mitchell

Hi all,

Here is a list of the materials that were used (all sourced from bunnings, isn't it just the best spot for DIY-ing!) 

Paint: British Paints Clean and Protect Matt Indoor Paint in Lexicon Quarter

Floating floors: Floor Select 8mm water resistant in Tarragon Walnut

- I used aluminium angle to flash between the ends of the boards and doorways where there were no skirting boards

Subway Tiles: Decor8 Metro White ceramic mosaic

Kitchen Cabinets: all Kaboodle, doors in Provincial White, benchtop in Hickory Maple

Island Bench Panelling: VJ MDF Panels painted with the same colour as walls

Sink: estilo single bowl sink with drainer

Mixer Tap: Dorf WELS 5 Star 6L/min Kip Sink Mixer

Fantastic @tom_builds. Thanks for sharing.

Stevie

NikkiMaree
Building a Reputation

Wow that looks amazing. Well done! 

Lovely job , looks fabulous .

may I ask has the Taronga Walnut colour made the small area appear much

Smaller ?   ( although love it ). 

Have 35sqm apartment , thinking of Gessama Oak to hopefully open the area up ??

thanks 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects