Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen reno - old school brick alcove

georgiaks
Getting Established

Kitchen reno - old school brick alcove

EC958464-B06E-419C-8350-F38B55DB010F.jpeg

47FCAC0A-9555-4E85-9EE2-DB63B89EC3F6.png

C5B8CF8C-98BC-4CE0-ACEE-181AB347546A.jpeg

Not sure how to go about making the space in the kitchen a clean slate! We were thinking the easiest and cheapest thing would be to just cover it up. Has anyone else had an old school kitchen like this and done something useful with it? The kitchen is quite small to so we just want to make it modern and usable. 
how would we go about covering it up? 

edit: uploaded a new photo. The flooring is now removed (asbestos) and we have great floorboards. we have also removed the cupboards so there is some extra room there.
I realised the plan doesn’t have the door leading to the porch next to the pantry. We plan on having the fridge and shelves in the pantry. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kitchen reno - old school brick alcove

Hello @georgiaks 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. Would it be possible to post more photos of the room? The position of the sink and fridge would be most helpful and the overall position of the doors or walkways in and out of your kitchen.

Thanks!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you! Have uploaded another photo and edited the post. The sink is currently in the pantry but we don’t plan on keeping it there and would rather have the sink in the main kitchen. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @georgiaks. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

It's great to see @redracer01 has some ideas for your project and will undoubtedly provide some fantastic inspiration. 

I believe you are correct that the easiest way to cover it up would be to frame up a thin stud framework and plaster over the bricked area. You should find these step-by-step guides useful: How To Build A Stud Wall and How To Plasterboard A Stud Wall.

Some other guides that might be of interest in the planning stage: 

​​​​​​​

I look forward to following your project, and please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @georgiaks 

I totally agree with @MitchellMc 's recommendation to build a wall in front of the old brick cooker. Mind you I suggest having a look at google what model you have as some of those steel wood fire burning stoves sometimes fetch up $1,000 dollars and up! I suggest the following :

- Remove the doors and panels in the old pantry set, we will add that space to your kitchen as seen in my drawing.

- Remove the cornices and finishing panels near the pantry and where your old sink is to give your room a more uniform finished look.

- I suspect you have an old post war home or an older model as the ceiling height looks like it is at 3 meters.

- Your old sink spot now does double duty as fridge space and walk in pantry with sliding barn door. I will leave the placement of the shelves to you as you can customize it to your cooking appliances ( kitchen aid, waffle maker etc. ).

- Once you build your extra wall it has to go all the way in to your old pantry to give the kitchen a straight line and we wont have to modify any of the cabinets.

- The wall will not take up that much space. But before you seal it make sure that the chimney and all other flues going through your ceiling has been decommissioned and sealed. Last thing we want is to have critters taking up residence behind your wall.

This is what it could be, I am aware that there are other ways to re-design this kitchen but time and money are always a factor in these things. But you are in the planning stage at the moment, look around at other kitchen designs and incorporate those things that you want into the current design and come back to me and I will modify the drawing for you. Please post any questions or queries you might have we will more than happy answer them.

Cheers,

Red

georgiaks kitchen1.jpggeorgiaks kitchen2.jpggeorgiaks kitchen3.jpggeorgiaks kitchen4.jpggeorgiaks kitchen5.jpgThis is the best spot for your sink as you can tap in from the plumbing of the bathroom which is just on the other side of this wall.This is the best spot for your sink as you can tap in from the plumbing of the bathroom which is just on the other side of this wall.georgiaks kitchen7.jpggeorgiaks kitchen8.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks so much Red! This is super helpful and now have lots to think about. I appreciate the help :smile:

Thank you! Great links. Will definitely come in handy

Thanks Red. We were looking at a second hand kitchen that had the stove and sink in opposite spots (ie. the stove on the same wall as the bathroom, the sink on the plaster wall in front of the alcove) do you foresee any problems with plumbing? I assume it would just cost a little extra to get it plumbed.

Hello @georgiaks 

I don't see any issues with  the reversal of the cook top and sink. However it's best to consult with your plumber to head off any possible problems with the set up of the waste water and water inlets for your sink. Always have your quotes in black and white that way you are not caught out with sudden "unexpected" surprises. Having the cabinet carcasses set out will give both the plumber and electrician a good idea of where things will be and allow them to measure out for the job at hand.

Red

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects