Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kitchen update your feedback and thoughts requested

wendalls
Growing in Experience

Kitchen update your feedback and thoughts requested

We're looking to do a kitchen update - among other things - but the Kitchen is the thing I'm finding hardest to decide, it's one of the most expensive to update with lots to consider. Budget is $7k approx. We are happy to do some DIY and save wherever possible.

Trying to achieve storage space and cosmetic makeover. 

Currently it's a white and beige box, but loads of space with 2.85m ceilings and approx. 46m2 of open plan living space.

See attached photos of current kitchen and some rough layouts of what I think we should do which is:

• Keep the current foot print and add a peninsular with a cantilever end for stools
  • Plumbing and gas will stay in the same place, new 6 burner freestanding gas oven.
  • We'll get new cabinets or at least new uppers and pantry that will stretch to the ceiling to make the most of the high ceilings.
  • I'm thinking plain cabinets - incase hardware is too heavy, otherwise black hardware and black tap.
  • probably lightly veined marble style stone benchtops,
  • thinking of a high up internal window as the study behind that wall is flooded with light and the kitchen is in the back of the unit, far from windows
  • Thinking vertical forest green subway tiles in a finger pattern for backsplash all the way up the wall (the wall with the bench and sink)
  • Floors will probably be a mid toned / darker wood on a diagonal lay. in the whole living space A bit worried that it will be too dark with the dark green subway tile as well. 
  • Walls and ceilings white in the whole space
  • I like a rustic / industrial style 
  • Lighting will be eventually updated with some glass globe style pendants and long track lighting

What do you guys think of the kitchen floor plan and thoughts on styling?

3D 13D 13D 23D 2

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Kitchen update your feedback and thoughts requested

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wendalls. It's fantastic to have you join us.

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to assist. Everything you have mentioned sounds great and as you are aware your choice of lighting will impact the overall design. With the installation of new upgraded light sources, personally, I don't see an issue with the darker floors and forest green splashback. You might like to take a look at Illume's skylight alternatives as their colour range mimics natural light very closely. They are not a stand-alone lighting solution but I think they could be a great addition to this space giving it an open airy feeling.

The high up internal window could work, though you would need to consider its functionality and usage with an occupant in bedroom two. I can't see an issue with younger occupants but it could be a cause for conflict with a teenager. 

It might be worth thinking about bringing the peninsular slightly further out which would allow additional storage inside it. That would also facilitate three people comfortably sitting on the cantilever side. Obviously you don't want to sacrifice the open visual flow or access into the kitchen.

Let me mention the amazing @redracer01 to see if he would also like to contribute to the discussion.

We look forward to following along with your project and encourage you to let us know if you have any questions or would like to share your progress with the community.

Mitchell

Kitchret.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wendalls
Growing in Experience

I like the look of the illum skylight alternative. We are in a unit though so can't reach the roof. Though I guess we could run extra long cables from balcony or side of building where we might be able to mount the sun panel?

We are a couple with no kids, and none planned in the future - though the place may become a rental some time in the distant future. I'm trying to think if I would have a problem with an internal window in the bedroom if it was to be my bedroom with the window...

Thanks for the alternate seating pattern. Cantilever was actually the short end with storage either side of the peninsular, wine fridge to go on the lounge facing side along with another cupboard, two cupboards / drawers on the opposite side. Seating on short end. Peninsula will be 80/90cm wide and 120/150 cm long (yet to confirm measurements with someone who knows these things!)

I was really struggling with whether people would want to sit facing the back of the kitchen when I was thinking about my island. So figured an end cantilever can give the option of sitting either way and facing the wall. Although in reality I think this spot will really be to chow down on a quick lunch or share a glass of wine as dinner cooks.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @wendalls 

I agree with @MitchellMc a skylight would illuminate your kitchen much more along with your wall cut out. I've drawn the breakfast bar area a little bit differently. Please enjoy the drawings and if you would like to see a different lay out please drop us a line here on workshop. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

wendalls1.jpgwendalls2.jpgwendalls3.jpgwendalls5.jpgwendalls6.jpgwendalls7.jpgwendalls4.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Looks brilliant @redracer01, well done.

Looking forward to seeing how your renovation project progresses @wendalls. Great to have you part of the Workshop community. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on Red's design. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wendalls
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the idea of the island in the centre, I'll have a play with this thought

I did think of putting the fridge more in the entranceway, but the corridor isn't big enough to allow for this.

Hello @wendalls 

I had a feeling that might be the case. How about this suggestion, build a false wall at the end of your kitchen run to allow the fridge to be moved to the end. Have a look at the drawing and tell us what you think.

Cheers,

Red

wendalls8.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects