Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking to source 100mm kickboard

hassall147
Growing in Experience

Looking to source 100mm kickboard

Hi ! I'm looking to replace water  damaged MDF kickboard (plinth) in a pre-existing kitchen. Height is 100mm, which I would have thought might be  standard, but apparently not. I can't find it anywhere, and I don't have the equipment to buy over-size then trim it down. Any advice, much appreciated. Thx. Steve

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Looking to source 100mm kickboard.

Steve

I hear you  no one seems to do 100mm any more. My suggestion go to bunnings buy a sheet of mdf whatever thickness you want (eg9-12mm) and get them to cut it into 100mm strips. If existing was prone to water damage make sure you paint all sides including bottom and ends. JDE

hassall147
Growing in Experience

Re: Looking to source 100mm kickboard

Thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated. I didn't realise that Bunnings will cut to size. That's great.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hassall147

Thank you for sharing your question about kickboards.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JDE. I totally agree with their recommendation. You can have pieces of timber cut at 100mm at the store. Please make sure to paint all around to protect the MDF from possible water damage. If you are currently doing a project we would love to see a post of what you're currently working on.

We look forward to seeing your kickboards repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hassall147
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. I'll keep you posted.

hassall147
Growing in Experience

With lock-down now easing, I've chased this up with my local Bunnings (Hastings). Apparently they have a docking saw, and a panel saw, but they can't trim to width, so I'm back to square one.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

They should be able to cut 100mm strips off a sheet with the panel saw. JDE

Hi Steve (@hassall147),

As @JDE has mentioned, the team in-store can cut strips 100mm wide off an MDF sheet/panel on the panel saw. They can't rip a 110mm board on the panel saw and remove 10mm off of the width. We can only cut boards to length on the docking saw. I've touched base with the team in-store, and they are more than happy to cut 100mm strips off a larger board for you.

Mitchell

I'm not really a big fan of MDF in applications that might be exposed to moisture. I'd also be reluctant to buy a whole panel given that I only require a couple of metres of kickboard.

That's understandable, Steve (@hassall147), but it also limits your options. Would you consider purchasing a budget-friendly XU1 1200W 185mm Circular Saw and cutting the timber yourself?

Alternatively, could you use 90 x 19mm x 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Dressed All Round DAR Select Grade and cover the extra 10mm up with a Porta 19 x 19mm 2.4m Tasmanian Oak Quad Moulding.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects