Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need a new kitchen - weird shape - where to start?

Rosana
Growing in Experience

Need a new kitchen - weird shape - where to start?

kitchen measurements 2020 cropped.jpgHello, we've never renovated before and looking to get advice on where to begin and getting ideas for our weird shaped kitchen.

kitchen flattened.jpgIMG20200403122704.jpghouse plan old-1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need a new kitchen - weird shape - where to start?

Welcome to the Workshop community @Rosana. What a great question which is common among first-time renovators.

Planning is always the best way to begin. You need to decide what you want to achieve and your goals. Here's a guide on planning your kitchen renovation. No doubt you can take plenty of inspiration from our talented members of the community and their own projects here.

You also need to decide on your budget which will affect the finishes of the kitchen. This guide to renovation on a budget might be helpful for that.

There is also a great kitchen planner which will allow you to start setting out the kitchen and checking some different finishes for benchtops and cabinetry. The talented @redracer01 might be able to assist us with some ideas here.

I look forward to seeing what our fantastic community members can come up with for your kitchen. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rosana
Growing in Experience

Thank you MitchellMC! Will have a look at those links. It's very scary and overwhelming for me and am so glad to find this community website and will read what everyone is doing. We tried to get quotes but people fail to get back. I think everyone is so busy because of the covid-19.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Rosana 

Would it be possible for you to sketch on some paper the actual wall layout and measurements of the kitchen area and post it here on workshop. It would give me a better idea of how to layout your kitchen. Thanks!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Rosana
Growing in Experience

I will tomorrow @redracer01. Thank you!

Rosana
Growing in Experience

Hi kitchen measurements 2020 cropped.jpg@redracer01,

I've uploaded the kitchen layout and measurements. Sorry it took a while to measure. We've got boxes all over the place now and hard to move about.

Thank you for your help!

Rosana 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great plan @Rosana, that makes things very easy to visualise and I'm sure will help @redracer01 a great deal.

I'm also interested if experienced renovator @Mathy might like to share her thoughts. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rosana
Growing in Experience

kitchen measurements 2020.jpg

Hi @Jason
This image to show where the sink and cabinets are. We're going to lose the ugly table bench thingy in the middle. Tried using the Kaboodle software, but it couldn't register for some reason, I think it is because it is a weird shape. Trying to find other softwares at the moment.

kitchen measurements 2020.jpg

Hello @Rosana 

Here is a sneak peak. I will post the rest soon.

rosanasneak peak.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Rosana
Growing in Experience

Hi redracer01

That is fantastic! It was exactly what I was thinking too! Including the island! Was thinking the same. Thank you so much for this redracer01! You did a marvellous job of putting the arched doorway and arched oven area. Thank you again.

Rozainah

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects