Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Oven cavity filler

Loulou2
Getting Established

Oven cavity filler

image.jpg

Hi all, 

I had a new oven installed. As you can see in the photo the cavity from the old oven is larger than the new oven. After some ideas and advice of how to inconspicuously fill the gaps.

Thanks in advance :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Oven cavity filler

Hi @Loulou2,

You could cut Melamine down to the correct size; it can then be glued and screwed into position. It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but is there 16mm worth of depth so it can end up flush with the existing face?

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he can offer some suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Loulou2 

Sound advice from @MitchellMc should you wish to cover the oven gaps using melamine panels cut to size, it should make quick work of covering the gaps. If you wish to take the extra step, you can use MDF or dressed pine and prime and paint to the exact same color as your current kitchen. I noticed that your oven front is bigger than the allowed space in your oven cabinet. In an ideal situation if time permitted the oven front would have been measured and the space adjusted. Since this is our current situation my suggestion will only apply to what you currently have. Below are a some images that present several situations you may find yourself in while attempting to cover the gap with oven filler panels. Should you have any questions please don't hesitate to post here at workshop, remember your trying to gather information there are no silly or funny questions. Please keep us updated and possibly a post on the final solution you have arrived at.

Red

loulou1.jpgloulou2.jpgloulou3.jpgloulou4.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @MitchellMc @redracer01 ,

thank you for your advice! 
yes, there is 16mm depth at the bottom so it sounds like I should be able to get a piece of melamine to sit flush in this space and then paint the edges. Wont be perfect but definitely better than it is.
The problem with above the oven and below the bench is that the hooks securing the stove take up some of the depth, so I don’t think I will be able to have a piece sit flush in this space. I will post another photo so that it hopefully makes sense. 

image.jpg

 thanks again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Loulou2,

Those brackets could be bent in slightly more, allowing additional depth. They look to be unnecessarily angled out.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects