Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Question about joining Laminate Benchtops

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Question about joining Laminate Benchtops

When you cut and join laminate benchtops is it enough to just use PVA glue between the joins? I heard a horror story of water getting into the join causing the benchtops to swell. Would it be better to use silicone between the joins?

Particle board inside laminate benchtopParticle board inside laminate benchtop

I am in the planning stage of renovating my kitchen and just covering some knowledge gaps.

Thanks,

Stuart

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Question about joining Laminate Benchtops

Stuardo either will work as a seal a good smear of pva or silicon clamp up and wipe / scrape off  excess. I assume you will biscuit the join to stop vertical movement and use benchtop joining clamps to hold joint together for mechanical part of joint.

JDE

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I would use PVA that is suitable for outdoor use just in case you do spill something on the join.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Stuardo,

I see you have already got some great advice from @JDE and @Brad which is fantastic.

As per our benchtop manufacturer Kaboodles instructions for their products, the use of PVA glue and benchtop joining clamps are required. For benchtops over 30mm thick, Kaboodle recommends the addition of biscuit joiners. For the PVA glue, I would suggest following @Brad's advice and use an exterior grade similar to Selleys 250ml Aquadhere Exterior Adhesive.

You might be interested in a convenient benchtop join kit supplied through Kaboodle with everything you need for the job.

Please let us know if you require further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects