Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing benchtop - happy for it to break!

laukb93
Just Starting Out

Removing benchtop - happy for it to break!

Hi everyone

I am due to remove my kitchen splashback tiles, cabinetry and benchtop next weekend.

I think I know what is involved to remove the tiles and the cabinetry but cannot seem to find any DIY videos/tips on removing a benchtop when you're happy for it to break/ just need to bin it. Is that because you simply just got at it with a hammer?! 

Would love some advice on what tools I need- we will have a skip for the mess.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing benchtop - happy for it to break!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @laukb93. It's amazing that you've joined us and many thanks for your questions.

If you're not planning on reusing your benchtop, the techniques applied when removing it are slightly less involved. To make the benchtop removal an easy process, you might like to find out how it is attached to the cabinetry. This could be through brackets and/or screws. Undo these brackets and screws first, and then you can work on removing the bench itself. Any caulking along the back edge joining the bench to the splashback should be cut through with a knife. You could also cut the benchtop into pieces with a circular saw.

You might like to have a read through these previous topics: How to best remove a laundry benchtop? by @Lee_J and How do I remove a bench top without breaking the tile splashback by @Collene.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects