Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing kitchen splashback

Penny19
Getting Established

Removing kitchen splashback

Hi Everyone,

I'm renovating my kitchen and I'm considering the best way to remove a small tiled splash back (on plasterboard) and then either tile the new splash back myself, or get a professional in to do this.

I've read some people suggest ways to remove the tiles from the plaster (which I understand will likely cause some damage to the current plaster) and others have suggested cutting out the plasterboard and tiles completely and replacing this with new plasterboard, without trying to chisel the tiles away. Im not sure if this will work given we have powerpoints set into the splash back.

Can anyone give me advice how best to remove my splash back? If its by chiseling out the tiles, what tools should I use? The top of my splash back looks like its caulked. The tiles themselves are 15cm x 20cm. Total splash back is 40cm x 250cm in size. 

If removing by chisel, what is the best way to repair/prepare the plaster afterwards for a new splash back?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure I get it right!

Thanks so much in advance for your help :smile:

Penny 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing kitchen splashback

Welcome to the Workshop community @Penny19. It's great to have you join us! Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to kick-off the discussion.

First of all, before you even consider starting you need to have an electrician come in to isolate those powerpoints and anything else power-wise that may have cables running behind those tiles. One slip with a chisel through the plasterboard and there is potential to contact electricity.

I would first attempt to remove the tiles yourself, even if you damage the plasterboard you'll still have the option to cut it out later. You might find the tiles come off quite easily with minimal damage which would be great.

Here's a step-by-step D.I.Y. guide on how to remove tiles, which I trust you'll find useful in the process. It also includes a full list of tools needed.

If there is damage caused by the removal of the tiles here's a step-by-step D.I.Y.guide on how to patch plaster and how to fix a hole in a plaster wall.

If you need further advice or have other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Penny19,

Just wanted to also extend my warm welcome to the community. I trust that Mitchell's comprehensive reply is very helpful to you, but please let us know if you have any further questions. And if you encounter any trouble, I would encourage you to share some photos so members see what you are working with and can provide more specific advice. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

sharonteee
Finding My Feet

Hi @Penny19 !

I’m also about to embark in a similar project, so this discussion will be helpful. Good luck 😉 with it!

Welcome to the Workshop community @sharonteee.

It's fantastic to have you join us and I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for your own projects around your home and garden. I'm looking forward to hearing about your own project coming together.

If you ever need assistance or wish to share a project with the community, please don't hesitate to post your own discussion.

Mitchell

Cado1
Getting Established

Hi Penny19

Just want to show some pictures of my splashback job I just finished sorry about the quality of some of the pictures as MitchellMc said allways get the right Tradesperson to isolate your services .As you can see my tiles did not come go so I had to replace the plasterboard in a kichen I would use Aquachek  which is a waterproof plasterboard .it was not a hard job just have to measure thing out also I use a electrician bolster which I got from the toolshop at my local Bunnings.If you have any Questions just ask or go to your local Bunnings and ask a Team member.Just remember D.I.Y is Fun20200118_073120.jpg20200123_120843.jpg20200123_134318.jpg20200124_163139.jpg20200214_122327.jpg20200214_152006.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings.
Please visit the Bunnings website
if you need assistance from the Bunnings customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @Cado1. Thanks for jumping straight into the discussion.

What a fantastic first post! I am sure @Penny19 appreciates seeing first hand what a fantastic transformation replacing a splashback can make to a kitchen. 

We look forward to seeing what other projects you have going on around your home and garden. Please feel free to create a discussion anytime you would like to share something with the community.

Mitchell

Thanks so much everyone for all of your help and guidance :smile:

Thankfully my father is a qualified electrician so he's going to help with isolating my powerpoints and then I'll see how I go. I'll upload some photos after the long weekend of my progress :smile:

A big thanks to @Cado1 and @MitchellMc for your support and guidance!

Caron
Making a Splash

@Cado1 wow, what a difference. Looks fantastic. I’m assuming you painted the cupboards?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects