Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing kitchen and bathroom benchtops - River Red Gum timber

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Replacing kitchen and bathroom benchtops - River Red Gum timber

Hi folks, I haven't posted much or commented for a while.  Have had a few health issues. 

I have been working on my replacement of my kitchen and bathroom bench tops, from Laminate to Live Edge River Red Gum timber slabs.  Which as you can imagine take a bit more work than you average bench tops, more so as it's the very first time I've tackled such a mammoth task.

So thought I would share some of what I've been working on.

Any tips or handy hints are greatly appreciated.

Shopping for slabs Nov 2019Shopping for slabs Nov 2019A bit rough around the edges  but should come up goodA bit rough around the edges but should come up goodHome at last ~ not the work beginsHome at last ~ not the work beginsSlab for vanity top close to sealingSlab for vanity top close to sealingCut out bits from their slabsCut out bits from their slabsStarting to look goodStarting to look goodBreakfast bar with sink cut out bogged and almost ready to sealBreakfast bar with sink cut out bogged and almost ready to sealEnd of breakfast bar slab, looking forward to seeing how this comes upEnd of breakfast bar slab, looking forward to seeing how this comes upHot plates side cut out, bogged and ready for another sand then sealerHot plates side cut out, bogged and ready for another sand then sealer2 Coats of sealer underneath side for Vanity area2 Coats of sealer underneath side for Vanity area20200507_155732.jpg

1st top coat on sink vanity slab.

I still have a ways to go, but I feel like I have the hardest under my belt ~ besides finding some muscles to move them from my messy shed to the house.  So far I only have the under side of the bench tops sealed and one top coat of marine grade varnish on the underside of my vanity slab.

Wish me luck.

Old Gall

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What have you been doing while in self isolation?

Hi @Old-gal24.

This is a truely inspirational project you have going on which I have been waiting for with bated breath. That timber is absolutely amazing!

For your final topcoats, you might like to try a test section using Uni-Pro 4 Piece Foam Brush Set. I've found that with numerous types of topcoat I get the best finish with them instead of the recommended application tool. I hold them at a very shallow angle and drag them across the surface almost letting them float on it. I've found they leave little to no "brush strokes" and produce a brilliant finish.

We can't wait to see the finished slabs installed. Well done on a fantastic job this far!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Resting my crook leg ha haResting my crook leg ha haMy best buddy helping me in the shedMy best buddy helping me in the shedAttempts at sanding my Stained timberAttempts at sanding my Stained timberStained from Black Oxide mixed in wood puttyStained from Black Oxide mixed in wood putty

Thank you @MitchellMc  your praise is very appreciated.  It's taken me this long as I keep doubting what to do next and get advice and then rethink my original ideas.  Thinking others ideas could be better than what I'd originally decided to do.. :smile:

So far I've only been working on the under side of my 3 slabs, 2 x kitchen, one being a breakfast bar kitchen sink side and the other having the hot plates and a small amount of bench top either side.

I started on the smallest slab 1st as when I had them delivered the guy wasn't very obliging and put the biggest one on top and I couldn't move it.  So it sat for some time, till I practically begged my daughter to help me try and slide  the smaller one out from underneath, almost dropping it down my shin. NOT a good idea.

But I have made a big boo boo on one of my slabs.  I thought I would mix black oxide with my wood putty to fill up the gaps instead of the car bog and oxide I was using.  The big problem being it's stained my timber and now the only way I can get rid of it that I've been able to find thus far is sanding.  I have read of other ways but mostly information from the USA and I would rather hear it from a local or more reliable source.  Possibly someone on here may have some ideas on easier ways to go about removing the stains I've left with the black oxide on my timber slabs?  If so please feel free to comment. I'm a bit chicken to do too much for fear of making it worse, or damaging my slabs. 

Thanks @MitchellMc for the suggestion of using the foam Brushes, I've used them for a great many years on inside craft work/tasks, with great success.  So will give it a go as I have a coat to put on the tops side of my bathroom slab soon.  

This old gal

As I said before @MitchellMc  thank you for your suggestion of the foam applicators.  I tried them and just didn't like the flow, or should I say lack of flow as when I went to feather the start and end of application, it seemed to drag and make little grip scrap/marks which I thought would flatten out in the drying process.  But didn't so instead of being my last coat, I've given it another sand and coat with a bigger foam applicator and will see how that goes.

It's a big area, and with winter being close the days are colder so I am apprehensive of coat times and temperatures in which I can put another coat on and I have two other slabs to get done.  I feel that i may now have to wait till spring as our days a shorter and colder.  Unless I bring them inside and keep the temp consistent unlike in my shed/workshop.  Could be messy.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you

This old gal

Hi @Old-gal24,

Thanks for the feedback! If you have bigger foam applicators then I would definitely be using them instead of the smaller ones. It's a pity they didn't work out well for you, but it is about using the best tool for the job, so if you are getting better results with something else stick to it. When I've used them, I was more using it to maneuver the coating around and not using it to apply the coating. I would pour on a heavy coat and then float the applicator on the liquid dragging it around instead of 'brushing' it on.

I can't wait to see the finished top installed as you are doing a fantastic job!

Mitchell

Hello Mitchell

Sadly still a work in progress.  My last and biggest slab has had it's drama's being so big, I've had to rely on getting folks to help me turn it over to work on it... It's 3mt x 1mt.   While getting a few fellows to help me turn it over one of the fellows grabbed in via the sink hold cut out and cracked it down the center.   I've since repaired it with Wooden butterflies.  BUT now I have to start almost over again as it's in need of more plaining...   I also decided to have a go at doing some resin work on the slap, with help and their time has been very limited so I have to keep waiting on them also..   So I decided just after New Year that I would do more research on Resin work and just do that part myself as well.   :unhappy:  not 100% sure I've made the right decision, but just waiting for it to cool down a bit before I tackle finishing things off.  As I want to get the best finish I can...  So fingers crossed I have it installed before Winter.

20210301_141040.jpgCupboards changed into drawsCupboards changed into drawsSlowly getting the cabinets paintedSlowly getting the cabinets paintedCracked slabCracked slab 

Pretty rough, but looking a bit better since these pictures where taken...  

This Old Gal

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Old-gal24

I love the colour you've chosen for your kitchen doors, what's it called? It's good to hear that you're making progress. I'm very interested in your attempt at doing resin work. I see a lot of it on youtube, but they never really tell you all the steps when they show you how it's done. I'm sure you'll eventually finish your kitchen reno, I look forward to the big reveal.

Eric

Extremely sorry @EricL   some how I missed this message.  RE: the paint colour.  I made it up.. but I think it was close to a colour.  I will see if I can find it and let you know..   Sadly still haven't finished the kitchen.  Health issues.  Plus I am a full time carer of a disabled adult daughter.  BUT a New Years resolution a month in advance.  FINISH my Kitchen bench top.  Well the 3mt x 1mt on.  As I completed the two smaller ones.  The bathroom came up amazing and has been in for well over a year.   One side, the smaller side in my gallery kitchen is also complete but I don't want to install it till I complete the Biggest one.  Which is the one I struggle with as I need at least four strong people to help me flip it too complete it, and the last time I hired a few fellas to help me, they picked it up through the sink cut out, which caused it to crack *weakest point.  Which has created yet another job, repairing the crack.. I did get it flipped over  and during the winter I hadn't noticed it wasn't on the support boards I had underneath it and now it has a slight bow in it, so yet again more work before I can get in completed.  BUT I'm not giving up on having it finished and getting it installed..   Just hope it's sooner than later.

Once again sorry I missed replying to your question.

This Old-gal

is o

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Old-gal24 

That's perfectly alright. I'm still keen to seeing you finish that kitchen table.

I look forward to your next update.

Eric

As I said they are kitchen bench tops, for a galley kitchen.  Live Edge River Red Gum & I too want to see them all finished.  Not sure if you seen any of the pictures I posted.  Here are a few, just in case you haven't.

Thanks again

Old~galSmallest slabSmallest slabVanity topVanity topVanity top 2 basinsVanity top 2 basins

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects